"Never cover a hive!"

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torq

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 Hives, 4 Nucs.
Hi Guys,
I suggested to a local beekeeper that I was going to setup a hive under a row of south facing mature cypress trees that we have in a field on the side of a hill. My reasoning was that they would be protected from frost in the winter. My idea was greeted with horror and the above statement. I forgot to ask why and so I'm now asking you lot!! Is it because they won't get cold enough to cluster in the winter?
Thanks..

Probably if they are in the shade they wont get the benefit of the sun to warm the hive and they will have to use more of their energy in keeping warm. Some shade can be beneficial.

Some believe that vibrations from roots moving in the wind upset bees and you shouldn't put hives near large trees because of it. Well considering that wild bees nest in the things....

Never seen roots moving in the wind lol. My hives are near several large oak trees and have no probs. They do get the sun on them early in the day though.

I recently bought a book from Amazon all about bee boles and bee houses (shire publication). A bee bole is essentially a hole in a wall where a beekeeper can place his skep, typically SE facing. As someone said bees live in trees, my books suggest bee hives in light woods benefiting from warm dappled light shade is a good thing. So not covering a bee hive is in my opinion nonsense and will be dependent upon local conditions.
All the best,
Sam

Latest posts

Back