neighbours liveing next door who are not happy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had bees for two years, a neighbour got a swarm and I had an angry knock at the door; I explained and collected the swarm. It is fear that causes anger and letters. Education is the way.

On another angry note, it appears this was the second time those bees swarmed, the first garden they went in, the bxxxxxxs tried to burn them.

Sad, but You will end up having to move them
Good luck, we had 3 hives in the garden
We only moved them out when the neighbour
Had a lot of work done in the garden
Last year, they had no idear that we had
Bees, they had been in the garden for
3ish years. However it is a bit easer to put
the washing out now

It's not always easy to share your garden with a colony of bees. My family has got used to avoiding the back garden when I'm inspecting the hives. We can live with the occasional over enthusiastic guard bee when mowing the lawn or hanging the laundry out. But a beekeeper's neighbours don't have the same knowledge or enthusiasm. And they're entitled to use their garden without fear of being stung.
Don't simply characterise your neighbours as ignorant or paranoid. Remember how you were once, before you got to know bees. See if you can get them interested. Educate them. But if your guard bees become too protective of their patch, find an out apiary. You're the one who is imposing a threat, real or imagined, on the neighbours.
If they had a constantly yapping dog, or built a speedway track in their garden, you'd think them unreasonable. If your hobby intrudes upon them, are you any less so?

It's not always easy to share your garden with a colony of bees. My family has got used to avoiding the back garden when I'm inspecting the hives. We can live with the occasional over enthusiastic guard bee when mowing the lawn or hanging the laundry out. But a beekeeper's neighbours don't have the same knowledge or enthusiasm. And they're entitled to use their garden without fear of being stung.
Don't simply characterise your neighbours as ignorant or paranoid. Remember how you were once, before you got to know bees. See if you can get them interested. Educate them. But if your guard bees become too protective of their patch, find an out apiary. You're the one who is imposing a threat, real or imagined, on the neighbours.
If they had a constantly yapping dog, or built a speedway track in their garden, you'd think them unreasonable. If your hobby intrudes upon them, are you any less so?
:iagree::iagree:

But then again nasty neighbours do exist... and if you are unfortunate to have them then they well try to use the bees existence against you. Assume not nasty until proven otherwise.

I think that compliants to the council regarding nuisance/antisocial behaviour etc have to consist of a list of incidents and the dates/times thereof.

Buy the bloke a camera and ask him to take photos so he can show the council.

I haven't had bees for two years, a neighbour got a swarm and I had an angry knock at the door; I explained and collected the swarm. It is fear that causes anger and letters. Education is the way.

On another angry note, it appears this was the second time those bees swarmed, the first garden they went in, the bxxxxxxs tried to burn them.
Did you charge him?

Keep a dummy empty hive only.. and ensure the complainers are made to look fools...

Latest posts

Back