Nearly There

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobl

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
after a day hammering, screwing and painting I finally have a fully formed WBC ready to site in the field next door, all I need now is Bees. What's the chance of a swarm finding it?

Put some old frames in if you have them and a drop of lemongrass and have a go. Biggest issue is most swarms I've collected are up higher than you can get a full size WBC of the ground.

If you were closer you could of had one of mine!

Put your name on the local swarm list with your BKA and hope for nicer weather.

Good luck

thanks, I only have frames with new foundation as the Hives and frames have been stored in a barn for years and I have just refurbished it all. I have registered my interest with North Devon BKA.

Not much, today. Paint will put them off, for a start.

Swarms don't find it. The scouts will already know it is there.

Last edited:
Thanks, will probably put out tomorrow or Monday when the weather is better, chucking it down here today.

Nothing to lose by putting it out.

If you can scrounge an old brood frame it may help, also as stated above' lemongrass oil from Holland and Barrett, few drops on the top of a frame may help. I caught a swarm using it, don't know if they would have come anyway.

The makers of apiguard were giving away some swarm lure stuff last year, don't know if they still do it, or if it's any good.

Hi Bobl,
Well done you for all the hard work. You never know... If not this seems to be the year where there are plenty of swarms being collected. Hope you get one soon either way!

after a day hammering, screwing and painting I finally have a fully formed WBC ready to site in the field next door, all I need now is Bees. What's the chance of a swarm finding it?

Where are you? I'm in mid Devon and have a bait hive up and numerous other beekeepers near! I can let you know if I hear/catch anything...

I am near Great Torrington. Hive still in the garage at the moment, will be putting it out tomorrow.

I'd put two or three frames inside with starter strips only. You can add foundation in stages once they start to make comb. A box full of foundation puts them off in my opinion. Lemongrass helps, and if you can scrape some wax off a used brood box rub it on the frames and near the entrance.

Hive now in position, have tried the lemon grass trick. Fingers crossed for some visitors now

Latest posts

Back