natural poisoning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is reputed to be a significant difference between the European and Asiatic Rhododendron in this respect. European no issues at all, Asiatics with many reports of toxic nectar, especially from the likes of Nepal where Rhododendron forests are extensive and go to high altitudes.

I was under the impression that there were no Rhododendrons native to Europe. The vast majority of species coming from Asia with a few from North America (Appalachian Mts) and the Caucasus (Eurasia).

I was under the impression that there were no Rhododendrons native to Europe. The vast majority of species coming from Asia with a few from North America (Appalachian Mts) and the Caucasus (Eurasia).

THIS is the species the honey came from.........

'Rhododendron ferrugineum L. (Ericaceae) is a subalpine shrub found throughout the Pyrenees and Alps at elevations of 1600–2200 m.'

Taken from an Oxford publication. Apparently the only continents with NO native Rhododendron species are Africa and South America.

On a more negative note, which shows I may have been wrong about toxicity,...........our wild and naturalised ones are mostly of R. ponticum.

'Rhododendron ponticum, called Common Rhododendron or Pontic Rhododendron, is a species of Rhododendron native to southern Europe and southwest Asia.'

R. ponticum is one of two species associated with honey toxicity.

I regularly visit Wakehurst Place to see the various plants in flower and they also have beehives. I have never seen honey bees on the large rhododendrons, they do use the dwarf ones though. I cannot see that there can be a problem for the bees, they know what they are doing and must avoid flowers that are toxic - that is why it is rare to see them in daffodils!

I regularly visit Wakehurst Place to see the various plants in flower and they also have beehives. I have never seen honey bees on the large rhododendrons, they do use the dwarf ones though. I cannot see that there can be a problem for the bees, they know what they are doing and must avoid flowers that are toxic - that is why it is rare to see them in daffodils!

The problem arises in species that are toxic to mammals but not insects.

It won't affect the bees but some say the honey can give babies a bad belly and that is why they do not recommend giving honey to babies, however there are stories of this honey left for roman soldiers to disable them in battle as it makes the legs go weak or symptoms of a paralytic state but effects where only temporary
The advice not to give babies under 12 months honey is nothing to do with rhododendrons! It is to avoid infant botulism which causes flaccid paralysis and can lead to death in babies. This can be caused by the germination of spores of Clostridium botulinum from honey germinating in the guts of infants who have insufficient natural bacterial flora in their guts to prevent this.

Rhododendron Toxicity

from Rhododendron Toxicity | Garden Guides http://www.gardenguides.com/89852-rh...#ixzz2KstfN7cS

Overview

Chemicals in rhododendron leaves, flowers and nectar make the plant toxic. It can poison many species, from humans to horses, birds and insects that ingest it. For that reason, it can't be controlled by grazing, as is often the case with other aggressive shrubs. Most cases of human poisoning come through eating honey made with rhododendron nectar, resulting in a condition sometimes known as mad honey disease or honey intoxication. The shrubs are sometimes known as "lambkill" or "calfkill" because young animals have not learned the toxicity of the plant and eat it in large quantities.
History

Cases of rhododendron poisoning among humans who have eaten toxic honey date as far back as 400 B.C. This is the first written account of "honey intoxication," in which 10,000 Greek soldiers were affected by eating honey made from rhododendron nectar. In rhododendron ponticum's original home, the Black Sea area of Turkey, cases of poisoning have been reported since that century as well. Outbreaks among humans in the 1980s were confirmed in Turkey and Austria, as well as in goats in Britain. In 2008, relief workers in North Korea documented poisoning among hungry children who would eat azalea flowers, which resulted in at least nine deaths.

Significance

The toxicity found in varieties of rhododendron is not uniform across all the plants' species, although it is a characteristic of Rhododendron ponticum, one of the most popular varieties of the shrub. It is also common to relatives of rhododendron, such as other members of the azalea, or Ericacae, family. Because of the chemicals' presence in nectar, placement of beehives near rhododendron is unwise, as the honey they make may turn out to be toxic in turn. As little as three milligrams of nectar consumed per kilogram of body weight can prove fatal. Leaves are less poisonous than nectar, as a range from 100 to 200 grams of leaves would be required to seriously poison a child weighing 55 pounds.
Function

The toxicity comes from free phenols and diterpenes, also known as grayanotoxins, in the plant tissues. The production of these is basically a defense mechanism by the plant against being consumed by herbivores such as grazing animals. The phenols are present in more concentrated amounts in younger rhododendron tissues, before they toughen up. The sticky sap that comes from young rhododendron buds is full of these toxic compounds and can irritate skin and eyes. Many animal poisonings happen in the early spring and late fall, since rhododendron remains green longer than other plant species, and presents a more attractive foraging draw.
Effects

Rhododendron toxicity is rarely fatal to humans, and symptoms usually last no more than 24 hours. It results in short-term gastrointestinal and cardiac problems, and the severity depends on the amount of honey or nectar ingested. Symptoms include low blood pressure, lowered heart rate and shock, nausea, increased salivation and vomiting, accompanied by dizziness, loss of balance and difficulty breathing. Serious illness and death is more common in animals who eat rhododendron, again depending on how much is eaten. Horses and elephants are two herbivores known to respond severely to rhododendron poisoning.
Treatment

Detoxification remedies are used to clear rhododendron toxicity. These include vomit-inducing emetics when appropriate for the patient, and repeated use of activated charcoal on the first day symptoms are noted. Since the poisoning dehydrates many patients, fluid replacement is recommended, and other supportive actions such as respiratory and cardiac support may be needed. Atropine can be prescribed to stimulate the pulmonary muscles in case of a severely slowed heart rate.

Read more: Rhododendron Toxicity | Garden Guides http://www.gardenguides.com/89852-rhododendron-toxicity.html#ixzz2KstfN7cS

So called " mad honey". Or " mad honey disease". Not only Greeks also according to writings Romans also were victims of that "warfare" but ended worse than Greeks. Also I read that Rhododendron ponticum is introduced to England and Ireland two centuries ago..

So called " mad honey". Or " mad honey disease". Not only Greeks also according to writings Romans also were victims of that "warfare" but ended worse than Greeks. Also I read that Rhododendron ponticum is introduced to England and Ireland two centuries ago..

True, the bit about it being introduced here. Rhododendron Ponticum has now become an invasive species and many large estates and gardens are pulling them out to open up the vistas that have become blocked by their growth.

Remember something about a Scottish island where the bees had to feed on R ponticum and died due to this. I'll see if I can dredge up some more. Honeys don't usually collect from them if there is anything else around. More often see bumbles on rhods.

I know for Kalmia latifolia also. Heard to avoid Ranunculus spp. also.. I try my best to have the least I can in my area what I heard or read to be counterproductive for the bees or people..

The environmental group I'm part of spend many a happy hour trying to kill as much of the horrible stuff as possible.

natural poisoning of the rhodenendron, as my dad has three large bushess of these in his garden

I wonder if his dad is still alive...the cost of property being what it is?

Latest posts

Back