Natural new comb colour

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Luck

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Less than 100
Why does natural, (no foundation), new drawn comb range in colour from pure white to butterscotch?

Not a quiz, genuine question.

Chris

I think the pollen they are using will make quite a difference as will the nectar
sources.

PH

You think that would affect the colour of the wax they produce?

I do mean virgin wax before anything has been put in it.

Chris

One of our colonies makes quite dark new wax, it also makes a lot of propolis. I'd guessed the two were linked.

When the balsam was in flower last year I noticed the new comb they were drawing out looked very yellow similar colour to this smilie. not worthy

good question, I've allsorts of bees (except liquorice) and use no foundation but all new comb has so far been white, very white. Yet to see butterscotch but sounds tasty;.)

My bees produce slightly off white wax and I never considered it could change in colour relating to diet it will be interesting to keep an eye on the wax building to see if it changes colour depending on forage available.

My bees produce slightly off white wax and I never considered it could change in colour relating to diet it will be interesting to keep an eye on the wax building to see if it changes colour depending on forage available.

i have a kbs italian queen from last year and had to do a bailey change due to nosema...on recovering the wax in a SOLAR wax box even part drawn wax from super frames are yellow, but they also are very sticky propolising bees, other buckfaSt produce an off white wAX

Last edited:
Dandelion yellow, white, unappetising brown (fruit trees?)....and white with a rather pretty reddish edging (similar to some of the winter propolis)...

i have a kbs italian queen from last year and had to do a bailey change due to nosema...on recovering the wax in a SOLAR wax box even part drawn wax from super frames are yellow, but they also are very sticky propolising bees, other buckfaSt produce an off white wAX

Interesting the Italians producing yellow wax it sounds as they are colour coordinating with themselves :coolgleamA:. But if they are drawing wax would the colour of the foundation influence the colour of the comb.

I have a friend and I have just about talked him into (ground him down) trying just wired frames at least in the supers if we can still remember what we used them for so it will be interesting to see the wax.

I have one Buckfast queen and would describe the others as localish Buckfast type.

Got some italian looking bees in a swarm the other week, they're drawing white wax on the foundation less frames in their new home.

Did AS/split a few weeks ago and am surprised to find pure white drawn comb from one colony and really yellow comb in the other. Neither colony have a mated queen yet, and of course they are the same bees from same original colony. So what has caused the difference? Can they really be choosing different pollens to bring in when they forage on exactly the same area? Hives are close together, though turned through 90 degrees to each other now.

just a thought, further to my earlier commnrt, I dont use foundation. Maybe thats why all my new wax is white.

i dont use foundation either and the wax is normally white but this spring it was drawn really yellow for a couple of weeks

Dandelion, I guess. 2 colonies of mine, near a big field of dandelions turned all their comb bright yellow. Going a manky brown now though.

i dont use foundation either and the wax is normally white but this spring it was drawn really yellow for a couple of weeks

I noticed it as well - it was during the strongest flow of willow pollen (they filled a whole frame with yellow pollen in no time), then all the wax cappings and some comb they drew at that time was an amazing deep yellow colour.
Lot of willow round our way as you know.

I don't use foundation either and have virgin comb completely unused drawn in various shades from pure white to butterscotch hence my original question, nothing to do with pollen or nectar being brought in which would happen at a later date.

Chris

I don't use foundation either and have virgin comb completely unused drawn in various shades from pure white to butterscotch hence my original question, nothing to do with pollen or nectar being brought in which would happen at a later date.

Chris

If the bees are bringing nothing in....like no nectar at all, AND are not being fed then I have never seen them draw comb.

A swarm in a box will make a little comb without feeding or nectar, but that is because they are carrying the initial supplies with them to do so.

Wax colour is down to floral source first and foremost. Foundation colour can be an influence when extending cell walls at the start using material drawn from the midrib, but even then only in response to the existence or anticipation of need.

Why does natural, (no foundation), new drawn comb range in colour from pure white to butterscotch?

Not a quiz, genuine question.

Chris

So far this year...
...white, traditional :)
...unappetising browny beige - fruit pollen time
...eggy yellow - dandelion time
...white with reddish top rim - goodness knows, no horse chestnut here afaik
...pale dove grey - first comb from a chimney swarm which had only been there a day :eek:

I noticed it as well - it was during the strongest flow of willow pollen (they filled a whole frame with yellow pollen in no time), then all the wax cappings and some comb they drew at that time was an amazing deep yellow colour.
Lot of willow round our way as you know.

You may have an answer - 'yellow' hive is nearer our huge willow tree, other hive is turned away from it; it always looks as though all bees are streaming off in all directions though they do tend to funnel back in towards opposite sides of their hives. They clearly forage in different areas then - fascinating!

Back