National Botanic Garden of Wales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
A half-share in 6...ish
Is anyone on this forum involved with these? Greatly enjoyed seeing them on Sunday. Would I be right in thinking that the yellow stripes on their backs indicate foraging on Balsam? So much for having an entire botanic garden to play with (though we saw a lot of pollen being collected in the garden itself). They were very busy though - much busier than mine, who have clearly decided that 1 Sept = autumn; game over

DSCF3196.JPG

DSCF3197.JPG

DSCF3198.JPG

DSCF3199.JPG

DSCF3200.JPG

Some more general snaps here is anyone is interested - nice place to visit - includes a soup/sandwich café that you do not have to pay entry to get to. Good stopping off point, just off the A40 on the way to SW Wales

https://picasaweb.google.com/david9...authkey=Gv1sRgCOezn8mo1biA_QE&feat=directlink

Wale's own Eden Project... without bus loads of grannies!!!

Worth a visit!
You have to remember that they were working on Middleton before the Eden project was launched - I remember going down to see them landscaping the whole area, an awesomwe sight, Aberglasne gardens nearby takes some of the coffin dodger pressure of the botanical gardens as well (one of the oldest surviving Elizabethan gardens - much more sedate!!) :D

How amusing that bees in botanical garden are foraging on Balsam. Good on 'em!
Apparently some of the flowers there only bloom once every 20 years or so - long time to wait for a gourmet bee snack! better popping out to the apian equivalent of a kebab say I!!

coffin dodger pressure

You have to remember that they were working on Middleton before the Eden project was launched - I remember going down to see them landscaping the whole area, an awesomwe sight, Aberglasne gardens nearby takes some of the coffin dodger pressure of the botanical gardens as well (one of the oldest surviving Elizabethan gardens - much more sedate!!) :D

Apparently some of the flowers there only bloom once every 20 years or so - long time to wait for a gourmet bee snack! better popping out to the apian equivalent of a kebab say I!!

I hope I am not yet classed as a "coffin dodger" I don't feel that way. Do you not think that this type of attitude should be consigned to the dustbin as has most of the other offensive stereotypes have? I don't think lots of readers on here would take to kindly to being referred to like that. To attain a certain age usually means you will have raise/helped to raise several generations, even the ones that dislike them "cluttering" the place up! Shame on you.:cuss:

:iagree::iagree:

Bad taste about people who are often the mainstay of these places.

Jenkins, your disparaging remarks include your parents and grand-parents- pretty ropey - no matter what they made you suffer.

Think that was my fault........ but remember grannies these days start at around 28 !
AND don't lecture me about stereotypology... I have broken most you could think of!

Good grief, is this whole forum getting tetchier or what -
No offence meant, being Welsh, from a mining community, with farming family I have to endure social stereotyping on a daily basis and now don't consider it overly offensive, my job being highly stressful, we make light of everything with no intention of predjudice: after the few bad posts i've read the last few days it was just a light hearted off the cuff remark in (i thought) the vein of the thread.
Most of the people that have influenced my life and have driven my objectives and social conscience have been well past retirement age, my two best friends are each two years each side of seventy (I'm only 44) would testify i'm not ageist but we always rib each other about our ages.I'm also trustee of the local dementia respite home. My humblest and hearfelt apologies.
By the way - my parents or grandparents never made me suffer, quite the opposite they have been the rock i cling to all my life :)

So no-one knows the beek who looks after these hives then?

I understand he put in all the investment in hives and built the observatory himself, though the NBGB staff also includes some experts

I've met him, Mike if I remember rightly. Nice chap but was struggling to look after the bees as he spends alot of time abroad. How many of those boxes were occupied ? When I met him they were mostly deadouts.

Oh I think all but 2 or 3 had colonies, and like I said, they looked very active and happy

Yes, I heard he is away a lot and has a bit of a laissez-faire approach to management, which may be causing a bit of tension in the organisation

The sort of thing that has been known to provoke discussion on this forum :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back