National Arboretum Garden of Rememberance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
http://www.thenma.org.uk/index.aspx

We visited on Saturday and by sheer chance found ourselves in the midst of a dedication service to a new memorial for those who have died in saving others via the Search and Rescue branch of the RAF.

That was personal to me as having seen their choppers on helidecks offshore taking off injured men or taking part in exercises I have the greatest respect for their skills and bravery.

There was a fly past by a Search and Rescue chopper, which made three passes directly over the RAF memorial area and the new stone.

The entire garden is young, less than 10 years old most of it so the trees have a bit to go yet, but it covers 150 acres, and very poignant it is.

Highlights for us, the Polish memorial, the Jewish one, the tank one and the "Shot at Dawn" which is heartbreaking.

the main memorial caused my wife considerable trouble by virtue not of the names inscribed there, but the expanse of wall yet to be inscribed, representing anguish to come.

If you are in the area it is very well worth a visit, and entry is that rarity these days, totally free.

PH

Thanks for that. I am heading that way before Christmas and will make sure of a visit. My husband is a Mountain Rescue volunteer and they work very closely with the Search and Rescue Sea Kings. Quite a few casualties joke about being picked up by Prince William but alas most of Cumbria's Helis come from Boulmer or Lossiemouth.

We want to go and will make a weekend of it, does anyone know of a good B&B nearby?

Err yes... me.. 27 miles from it.

and a free bee talk...lol

PH

We went on our way elsewhere a few months ago. I was initiated by my late father - we went everywhere marching slow or quick time (a dessert rat) and from a few feet from the entrance I was in tears...and stayed so for the entire visit. Amazing thought to the whole thing (and as PH) especially the shot at dawn memorial. Dad died in '89, but would have so treasured the place...

Truly worth the visit and the emotional turmoil...

It is on my "must visit" list before I pop my clogs.

Sadly a number of my friends feature on the memorial as a result of Malaya, Aden, NI, Faulkland Islands et al.

Latest posts

Back