Nasty aggressive bees: finally I get to experience

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone else noticed their bees becoming meeters, greeters, and followers when the OSR is in full bloom? Mine did that to me a couple of days ago, and checking back, they did the same last year when the OSR was out and the weather very warm. Then after a week or two they became better behaved again.

Yep, I've noticed this very thing, three years running

Yes. Mine always turn more defensive at osr time. I have gradually selected for less aggressive bees over last few years, and despite open mating it is working. I had a hive from hell in my early years and do not want that experience again.

Eating the same food for every meal would make me grumpy :)

so wannabe bee-keepers can have a plan of action with which they can "smash the glass" at the appropriate time,.

Agree, there are lots of bits of information and anecdotes but most seem to say 'wait', 'there's no quick answer', 'have an out apiary' etc. Even the simple / dummies books avoid facing the logistics head on. What is needed is to lead a newish beekeeper through a logical step by step assessment and action process which they can use the first time they have to deal with aggressive bees.

Latest posts

Back