my way of making fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

protheroe

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
a few
I was fed up of making fondant by boiling.it was always hit and miss whether it turned out ok and more often than not it would be like a brick so I thought I would try a different way.I once bought bakers fondant in a powdered state which a small amount of water was added so I thought I would try it with powered sugar. I put ordinary granulated sugar in the wife's food processor until it became a powder and added a very small amount of liquid glucose and water,mixed and had perfect fondant.ten minutes work.never again will I boil sugar on the stove,it just takes too long with not very good results on times

Last edited:
I was fed up of making fondant by boiling.it was always hit and miss whether it turned out ok and more often than not it would be like a brick so I thought I would try a different way.I once bought bakers fondant in a powdered state which a small amount of water was added so I thought I would try it with powered sugar. I put ordinary granulated sugar in the wife's food processor until it became a powder and added a very small amount of liquid glucose and water,mixed and had perfect fondant.ten minutes work.never again will I boil sugar on the stove,it just takes too long with not very good results on times

What a cracking idea, will have to give it a try. Will be later in the year now though as just bought 6 boxes.
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have tried using a food processor in the past, but found that it still left a small percentage of sugar crystals behind - no matter how long the processor ran for - which resulted in a fondant with a 'gritty' feel to it. That wouldn't be a problem in itself, but the girls promptly chucked out those crystals when they encountered them - which resulted in a small white carpet under the hive.

The solution was to use a coffee grinder/mill which produced a very fine 'icing sugar'-type powder, which went on to make a beautifully smooth fondant, especially if a tablespoonful of honey was added to each bowlful.

But - it used to take several hours to make even one pound of the stuff. Great fondant - but very labour-intensive.

LJ

That's how bakers fondant is produced commercially. Pulverised sugar with glucose syrup to keep it mobile.

I have tried using a food processor in the past, but found that it still left a small percentage of sugar crystals behind - no matter how long the processor ran for - which resulted in a fondant with a 'gritty' feel to it. That wouldn't be a problem in itself, but the girls promptly chucked out those crystals when they encountered them - which resulted in a small white carpet under the hive.

The solution was to use a coffee grinder/mill which produced a very fine 'icing sugar'-type powder, which went on to make a beautifully smooth fondant, especially if a tablespoonful of honey was added to each bowlful.

But - it used to take several hours to make even one pound of the stuff. Great fondant - but very labour-intensive.

LJ
Cant you just use icing sugar?

Bit expensive - probably cheaper to buy the most expensive fondant from your local baker than use icing sugar to make it ... Tesco £1.55/Kg + Liquid glucose.
ah, good enough reason, I thought there was some other reason other than price as I don't see icing sugar mentioned when feeding bees, but I see your point.:thanks:

Latest posts

Back