my first sting since September

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardbees

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was stung today on the web of my thumb; it hurt like hell and mild swelling across the whole back of my hand.

This was much stronger than my usual reaction - - is it because:

either A) it's the first sting in over 5 months

or B) The bee probably had 5 months for her venom to 'mature'?

Sensitive area I think, I was once bit by a spider there and it was not like the usual bite, in swelling and pain (much like the tip of finger)

A valid point, Rory, but I'm frequently stung there (the little sweethearts like the soft skin!) imo the first stings of the season do hurt more and produce more swelling....

Many many of my peers report this phenomenon !
VM!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

or B) The bee probably had 5 months for her venom to 'mature'?
I think that would have something to do with it.
Remember that very young bees have barely (if) any venom.
Today's bees are (with very few exceptions, if any) going to be very "fully developed".

Certainly the "hive average" is going to be a stronger sting in winter - but whether a maximum sting now is actually stronger than a summer guard's ... ?
I'd prefer not to be the guinea pig!

VM yes but what's the probable reason - A or B?

Swelling is common after not being stung for a few months!
This quickly drops to the levels which are the norm for the individual!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swelling is common after not being stung for a few months!
This quickly drops to the levels which are the norm for the individual!
VM

Personally John i find there to be no difference, don't swell up from bee stings at any time of the year,even after a long period without any stings, hope it stays that way, as in my younger days it was different and certainly did swell up from stings.

Now stinging nettles, they are another story.

A valid point, Rory, but I'm frequently stung there (the little sweethearts like the soft skin!) imo the first stings of the season do hurt more and produce more swelling....

Relatively, yes. No itching, minor swelling for first two or three. Then nothing - long may it continue. Mind I am always careful not to get bees down boots (suit over the top, elasticated, short muck boots) or around my head (veil done up, no holes)...makes sense really.

Personally John i find there to be no difference, don't swell up from bee stings at any time of the year,even after a long period without any stings, hope it stays that way, as in my younger days it was different and certainly did swell up from stings.

I don't since being on heart medication .
My missus doesn't and never has from day one!
Nowt as queer as folk as they say :)
VM

Now I'm jealous of you rotten lot who don't swell up etc when stung. I always do and then start looking at pictures to see if this much swelling is normal and asking myself do I feel faint? am I having difficulty breathing? or am I a wimp?

Busybee53, I'm with you. I swell up mosy embarrassingly and the whole area, for about 12 inches around, is hot and itchy and has a bruised feel. The most comical looking was when my ear swellled up but I wasn't laughing. This year I got stung when doing the oxallic acid (a hole in my veil!) and spent the next day juggling icepacks to get the swelling on my chin and neck to reduce. About three days later I look as normal as I used to :laughing-smiley-004 When my mentor gets stung it hardly notices.

I run bare legged through nettles getting hundreds of stings: just itches . No swelling

But several bee stings to soft flesh in a 10cm radius all at once early in the season and I become the Elephant Man... - at least on the stung bit.

After a couple of months, just like nettle stings.

Now I'm jealous of you rotten lot who don't swell up etc when stung. I always do and then start looking at pictures to see if this much swelling is normal and asking myself do I feel faint? am I having difficulty breathing? or am I a wimp?

If you have to ask us, the answer is ALWAYS going to be WIMP :)

This year I got stung when doing the oxallic acid (a hole in my veil!) and spent the next day juggling icepacks to get the swelling on my chin and neck to reduce.

Some of you beggar belief - how hard is it to check a veil! Reread post 9 - simple checks to PSE reduce stings (you wouldn't make fun of things if you were a diver or pilot etc), proper handling reduces them further, zero tolerance over poor colony behaviour still further.

Some of you beggar belief - how hard is it to check a veil! Reread post 9 - simple checks to PSE reduce stings (you wouldn't make fun of things if you were a diver or pilot etc), proper handling reduces them further, zero tolerance over poor colony behaviour still further.

:iagree: There was a flight safety poster which said "Don't assume- CHECK"

Valid advice in many walks of life including beekeeping.

Or as a once famous comic used to say "Never assume, when you assume you make an ass out of you and me" maybe we should modify the quote to say you and bee (winter cold).:D

Got my first sting of the year today. Bee up the sleeve. I was only giving a bit of syrup to a lightish mini-hive.
It didn't really hurt. I'm sure it's just a matter of where you get stung. I don't usually swell any more either but it still makes the eyes water if they get you somewhere sensitive. Possibly my worst ever was my big toe after stepping on a bee that appeared in the bathroom. A close second was a bee up the nostril.

Madasafish: I was not asking the forum if I was a wimp although re reading the post I can see how it might have looked like it. It was actually what I was asking myself. I would not be brave enough to ask you lot. So now I have proved it. I am a wimp and no need to ask any one. I just won't tell the bees.

Latest posts

Back