My first post !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike20

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello,
I've been a fan of this forum for a while now, it's entertaining and interesting to hear how other beeks are getting on throughout the year.
This is my fourth season having built up steadily, I currently have three hives and a poly nuc - enough to keep me busy as I learn.
Since January this year I've been plagued by kids who have found my apiary and have delighted in knocking over my hives (usually only one each visit). It's really disheartening after the effort put in not to mention the damage caused. I have a great site, loads of forage but time to move on before my bees are killed or someone is badly stung. Is this a common problem ?
Mike

Hello,
I've been a fan of this forum for a while now, it's entertaining and interesting to hear how other beeks are getting on throughout the year.
This is my fourth season having built up steadily, I currently have three hives and a poly nuc - enough to keep me busy as I learn.
Since January this year I've been plagued by kids who have found my apiary and have delighted in knocking over my hives (usually only one each visit). It's really disheartening after the effort put in not to mention the damage caused. I have a great site, loads of forage but time to move on before my bees are killed or someone is badly stung. Is this a common problem ?
Mike

Welcome, but I am Sorry to hear about you problems with Vandals.I hope you find a new site for your apiary.if not just PM me, Peter

I had the same problem. I moved mine in the end.

Maybe add a colony of hornets?

Welcome aboard.
Sorry to hear about your problem with vandalism.

:welcome:

Hope you get them moved to a safe place..

:welcome:

Must be awful to go to your apiary and see that.
The best option, as others have said, is to move them :(
(Other than lying in wait with a baseball bat...)

Hi mike20,
It is so sad what some people consider 'a bit of fun'. Good luck with the move. Let us know how you get on.

Well if they knock them over on a warm day they might get a shock !!!!

Shame you are experiencing this though, i stopped using two sites as footfall increased.

Good luck

It would be great if you had an old hive find a new wasp queen an put it in the hive I would love o see the little buggers get stung the more stings the better its funny but you can never catch the little sods. I guest its for the best I would pin them down and let a couple of bees do their stuff.

I saw a thread on here about using camouflaged web cam type cameras to take pictures of the vandals. I really hope you do find yourself a better site.

Since January this year I've been plagued by kids who have found my apiary and have delighted in knocking over my hives (usually only one each visit).
From local experience over the years, it varies. Sometimes they get bored with minor vandalism before you do. Sometimes there's no alternative but to move. One strategy that has worked in at least one case was to make pushing over harder. Stand on a BS 60cm paving slab and straps passed underneath it. It might work if it's a dare and they're young, or it could result in more effort to turn it. Try it with an empty hive if you can, at least the bees don't get hurt.

Other possibilities suggested have been stands as boxes filled with rocks or on fence posts driven in. Strapping the boxes together improves their chances if they do go over.An alternative to external straps is a rod through the middle, a threaded stud perhaps. Good luck with whatever you decide.

New site found, a little more remote and it has great potential. At least I can relax and enjoy the beeping without worrying about whether the bees and hives will survive.
Thanks for your comments and advice. :thanks:
Mike

Unusual to find kids that do anything outdoors these days, good news about the new site. Hope it's trouble free.

Back