My first hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are bringing in pollen and gulping down syrup like there's no tomorrow. I feel if they're still taking it they must still need it?

Mine are bringing in pollen and gulping down syrup like there's no tomorrow. I feel if they're still taking it they must still need it?

Same here i only stopped feeding mine last year when they stopped taking the syrup, after they had stopped i put the super that had uncapped honey + sugar under the brood box.

Same here i only stopped feeding mine last year when they stopped taking the syrup, after they had stopped i put the super that had uncapped honey + sugar under the brood box.
Ivy you think? Gotta be I suppose, I'm in the south east.

Well, I took another look at the contact feeder today, just three days after I filled it with 2:1. It was empty - they've stored it already - so I refilled it with two more litres. I've now given them six litres of 2:1 in the last 10 days, and could probably have given more had I looked earlier after the first 2:1 feed.

I'm now thinking that I shall continue doing this until they stop flying, then add candy.

However, I'm also concerned that they might run out of space. Last time I inspected, three days ago, they had three brood box frames unfilled (there's no super). Might they make it through winter without needing a super?

I've now given them six litres of 2:1 in the last 10 days, and could probably have given more had I looked earlier after the first 2:1 feed.

Some of my hives have taken six litres down in two three days - you're better off using a bigger feeder rather than piddling around with thimblefuls of syrup

I'm now thinking that I shall continue doing this until they stop flying,

Give it to them until they stop taking it down - they'll stop when they've had enough

then add candy.

However, I'm also concerned that they might run out of space.

This is when you have to start thinking about your beekeeping - why put candy on immediately after they've stored a load of syrup? keep it for emergency feeding if they feel a bit light after Christmas (and buy some baker's fondant - don't pay through the nose for any fancy nancy bespoke bee 'candy'.
bees should have about 40lb of stores in the hive when they bed down for winter.
Last time I inspected, three days ago

Time for inspecting is way long past, they need peace to batten down for winter.

Might they make it through winter without needing a super?
Plenty of colonies do - it's a bit late now to think about putting more space on anyway.

Hi Manek,
They will not need a super as they have the empty frames to fill plus they will store a lot of food in the vacated brood frames. Each brood frame full of stores weighs approx. 5lb. It will happen just keep feeding!

Well, I took another look at the contact feeder today, just three days after I filled it with 2:1. It was empty - they've stored it already - so I refilled it with two more litres. I've now given them six litres of 2:1 in the last 10 days, and could probably have given more had I looked earlier after the first 2:1 feed.

Hi.

Somewhere recently I've read that it is better to pile the winter syrup into them, so that they store it immediately.

Feeding in dribs and drabs makes them think there's a flow on and the queen keeps laying.

What do people think ?

Hi.

Somewhere recently I've read that it is better to pile the winter syrup into them, so that they store it immediately.

Feeding in dribs and drabs makes them think there's a flow on and the queen keeps laying.

What do people think ?

Yes, that can be a problem with mild weather and particularly with Italian progeny. However, don't forget that winter bees are those borne in September/October. More October this year I would think with the weather. Also, pollen will be the limiting factor in due course.

Quick look at the hive today: they're flying like crazy, lots of activity, so that's good to see.

I've been piling in the 2:1 over the last couple of weeks but today, there was still a few millimetres left in the contact feeder, four days after the last top-up, compared to the last couple of weeks when they've been taking down two litres every 2-3 days.

So although there was still a lot of activity around the feeder, I'm wondering if they're slowing down because the hive is full. Anyway, I shall make another 5-litre batch, just in case, and if they don't need it, it'll keep....

And there's still lots of activity today, though I'm not sure what they're foraging for, as they aren't bringing back pollen, as far as I can see.

State of the hive: last of the 2:1 almost gone, I'll take the feeder off in a couple of days. Insulation is already installed.

Latest posts

Back