My Cell Building Apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I thought you might like to see where I grow my queen cells. I have 20 active cell builders plus additional colonies that can be used if any of the 20 swarm or supersede. Along one side of the yard are 32 double nuc boxes used as brood factories.

This is just after a storm. The apiary was quiet not long before this was taken.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umorc1TmCPM"]My Cell Building Apiary - YouTube[/ame]

Not many areas in the UK where that yard wouldnt be overstocked for good parts of the season.
Was the 2011 queen showing signs of her age or do you automatically requeen those getting long in the tooth ?

Thanks Michael, great clip, it is good to see a film clip of bee activity again, not long now before our season get going over here, i bet yours are still under snow right now ! Chris

Michael, thanks for sharing.

What is the lineage of your stock? In your videos your bees look exceptionally dark. Are they Russian (Primorski) cross?

Mostly dark from Carniolan and dark VSH crossed with Carni's. Years ago I watched the yellow bees' demise from acarine, and nothing was left but dark bees...but now the yellow is coming out again in some stocks.

I bought 10 Russians in 1999, and gave up on them as too swarmy and too conservative. I want large spring cluster not small. I will say though, I have a colony that was started with one of those Russians, that has never been requeened since I established it 13 years ago. Its wintered well and been a top producer almost every year. I just might raise some daughters from that colony this year.

I just finished watching the Sustainable apiary video. In the beginning you ask: "Why buy queens?" In the end you answered a question about inbreeding and stated that you stock your yards with stock from other breeders. So you still buy queens in order to mix up your gene pool?

In 2013, I had 5 breeders. One from outside my apiary, and the rest from my own stocks.

Stock selection is a never ending chore, and always a work in progress. I would be fooling myself if I thought my bees were perfect. Bringing in stock from other beekeepers who might have something worthwhile only makes sense. If Greg Hunt can select for grooming behavior, why not investigate?

I told you before I'd even take eggs/larvae from that colony you have in Vermont.

I told you before I'd even take eggs/larvae from that colony you have in Vermont.

Unfortunately I lost them last season. They went 9 seasons. I do have a daughter hive still though. (but likely mated with those dreadful southern drones) I plan to gamble on them again and see how long they can make it without feeding or treatments.

I think that bringing in outside genetics is a must, but I had assumed you had pretty much closed off your genetics other then what they locally mate with.

When you asked about sugaring I was wondering if you had made the link between the usernames ;) Did "hivemaker" tell you or you figure it out on your own?

Last edited:
I think they likely swarmed multiple times in the course of 9 years. I am sure her drones have mated with my queens and other's in the area.

I also sold 4 nucs off of her early on to another member on the other forum. "Durandal" at Carriage house farm.

So the line is still out there.... I should have done more with them though.

And the sugar doesn't come from B&J :)

B&J was a good guess though wasn't it? Now everybody online will be hitting them up for spilled sugar and your supply is safe :)

If you need more I have a college buddy who works there; I can ask him what they do with the spilled sugar when they unload tankers.

What I need is Cheese Board. If you know anywhere where that can be gotten it makes awesome covers. I emailed Cabot, but didn't get a response. Google results show nothing. But Harvey's Honey is getting it somewhere and making covers out of it... they will not tell me the source, but their lumber comes from a mill in VT, so I assume they are getting it from Cabot,

B&J was a good guess though wasn't it? Now everybody online will be hitting them up for spilled sugar and your supply is safe :)

If you need more I have a college buddy who works there; I can ask him what they do with the spilled sugar when they unload tankers.

What I need is Cheese Board. If you know anywhere where that can be gotten it makes awesome covers. I emailed Cabot, but didn't get a response. Google results show nothing. But Harvey's Honey is getting it somewhere and making covers out of it... they will not tell me the source, but their lumber comes from a mill in VT, so I assume they are getting it from Cabot,

It was a good guess, but I don't think they have much spilled sugar. Their sugar too comes in 1 metric ton bags.

As far as cheese boards go...Do you know Ted Elk on Beesource...handle Ted?

He has access to cheese boards and offered them to me. I have no need for additional equipment...especially made from used cheese boards. You might contact him...315-382-2909

I don't know him, but thanks for the lead. I will follow up with him.

Mr. Palmer if I may ask, do you do higiene test - uncapping and removing larva ability for your breeding colonies. If do, have You some interesting observations during selection on higiene. Was it hard to accomplish and to maintain that?

So, chalkbrood seems sufficient to exclude colonies with unsatisfiing higiene. Thanks.
These with no chalkbrood then seems have most likely these desired recessive genes ( combination of recessive genes) which are responsible for high higiene? Can I assume it approximatelly this way ( doesn't have to be 100% certain)?

Latest posts

Back