murder in the village

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used isopropyl alcohol but although it lifted the stickiness of the propolis it also spread the stain a little.

Did some extracting in the kitchen. Bees wax & propolis deposits on the relatively new tiled floor and Snr mngt not happy. If I suddenly stop posting, send search party, there will have been a murder.

How do you get the wax and propolis off the tiles?

I've tried steam cleaning - ha! don't make me laugh.
I thought about getting a can of that freeze stuff that plumbers use to freeze pipes before the under the pipe to stop it flooding hoping I can chip it off.
Spend days on my knees scrapping it off.

What ideas have you got for a condemned man please?
Thornes sell propolis remover spray. It’s expensive at £7.99 but it works v well and dissolves propolis v quickly. No scrubbing required. Good for getting off clothes too. Prob best trying a test area on your floor first. Worth the expense give the cost of your floor!

Thornes sell propolis remover spray. It’s expensive at £7.99 but it works v well and dissolves propolis v quickly. No scrubbing required. Good for getting off clothes too. Prob best trying a test area on your floor first. Worth the expense give the cost of your floor!

I'm more worried about the cost to me personally .... my Nora's not happy lol

All else fails Elaine I'll get some thanks

Brown paper and an iron on low heat for wax. As for propolis I’ve no idea. Put the paper on top of the wax then the iron ontop of that. The melted wax will “wick” into the paper. Use an old iron and not too hot.

How are you uncapping? i find anything other than hot air gun is messy, with all manner of things everywhere. I would say I still need to have a deep clean afterwards, but it’s much less than when using a knife etc

How are you uncapping? i find anything other than hot air gun is messy, with all manner of things everywhere. I would say I still need to have a deep clean afterwards, but it’s much less than when using a knife etc

Despite the perceived benefits of using this method, I'm unfortunate that my bees dont usually leave any room/air gap behind the cappings so use a fork. I do agree tho, if there's one thing I hate almost above anything in the world its uncapping. So much so, I'm looking at investing in an automatic one next season.

Despite the perceived benefits of using this method, I'm unfortunate that my bees dont usually leave any room/air gap behind the cappings so use a fork. I do agree tho, if there's one thing I hate almost above anything in the world its uncapping. So much so, I'm looking at investing in an automatic one next season.
I’m still waiting for the simple harmony uncapper to be offered for sale in the U.K. (by a UK distributor). Would be less messy I reckon.

I’m still waiting for the simple harmony uncapper to be offered for sale in the U.K. (by a UK distributor). Would be less messy I reckon.

Just seen the video, or one of them and the guy spent a lot of time and averaged about four passes per frame. TBH time is my enemy and the harmony uncapper hasn't made the cut. I reckon I can do it quicker using my fork.

My floor was laminate so I used to use a scraper and then a bit of kitchen roll soaked in nail varnish remover (not sure if this is the same as isopropyl alcohol) - this year we are mid-renovation and the floor is bare (rough, cracked) concrete but fortunately had some cardboard left over so put that down (plus I only had one super to extract)

I have 57 supers in store ready for next year and about another 12 or so to bring in.

forgive me,but why in first place no one put protection on their floors in kitchen???
instead of magical propolis remover and other chemicals(damaging tiles grout) i use vinyl floor "carpet" from b&m .4x4m for 20£
or cheaper.
after spinning just rolling and clining outside the house with brush and cold water

forgive me,but why in first place no one put protection on their floors in kitchen???
instead of magical propolis remover and other chemicals(damaging tiles grout) i use vinyl floor "carpet" from b&m .4x4m for 20£
or cheaper.
after spinning just rolling and clining outside the house with brush and cold water
Because Smok we don't or in my case didn't. This is my first in many years of extracting I've had this problem. I think B&M will be getting my hard earned wonga tho thanks for the heads up

I'll give it a go ..... anymore ideas peeps?
As Monbees suggested isopropyl alcohol....I have used Meths.
A tip next time before you extract, would be to line your beautiful tiled kitchen floor, with old newspapers that will keep “the Boss”, happy as a clam.

Brown paper and an iron on low heat for wax. As for propolis I’ve no idea. Put the paper on top of the wax then the iron ontop of that. The melted wax will “wick” into the paper. Use an old iron and not too hot.
There’s a blast from the past!.......reminded me of my younger self in the 1970s ironing my unruly curls laid across the ironing board, with brown paper on top with the iron going full tilt.
Dare say I tried it the once, as too tricky and stayed with the “Crystal Tips” look.

or if vinyl roll too big and bulky to store for months at a time you can buy plastic sheeting from builders merchants, or you can get from fabric shops that they make into washdown tablecloths . that works well. just hose down to remove honey and propolis can stay! traditionally people put newspapers down but that ha never appealed to me . at least if empty the bucket all over the clean plastic flooring cos you got bored filling jars and looked away for 2 seconds you can always scrape it back up and feed it back to the bees!

Any alcohol based gel/liquid will dissolve propolis.
Hand sanitisers are great for hand cleaning.

And metholated spirits are the cheapest way but very smelly so not recommended

Latest posts

Back