Multiple eggs in cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birnambeekeeper

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Im interested in anyone's opinion on how big a problem I have in 2 of my hives. Both have multiple frames of brood in a good pattern and little drone brood, but there are a few cells in each where there is more than one egg. Can this just be a less than perfect queen? Or is this always laying workers? Not seen this before. Thanks for any thoughts

Can be a queen who has misfired a couple of times....wouldn't worry....yet

Cheers for that - I kind of thought all wa well and it didn't seem like a laying worker sort of hive - doing too well

My question would be: Do they need extra brooding space?

My second, if the answer to the first was 'no', might be: Are the queens related?

Another question might be would you recognise laying worker eggs? I am thinking the answer to that one is 'no'.

All these things might have some relevance to what your problem might be, should there actually be one worth worrying about.

Queeens newly coming into lay often spray them out a bit indiscriminately and then settle down to be fine.

Im interested in anyone's opinion on how big a problem I have in 2 of my hives. Both have multiple frames of brood in a good pattern and little drone brood, but there are a few cells in each where there is more than one egg. Can this just be a less than perfect queen? Or is this always laying workers? Not seen this before. Thanks for any thoughts

The queen has some problem. Or too few cells to be layed?

Eggs make a bunch in abdomen tip and then queen push it to the cell bottom. I shange that kind of queens. I have seen that cases.

To me those brood seem exceptionally much drones. Brood pattern is far from normal.

Last edited:
Queeens newly coming into lay often spray them out a bit indiscriminately and then settle down to be fine.

That is not true., It is said so but I have not met that during my 50 years beekeeping.

Bull cakes...if not elephant's

Don't know what to make of those pics. The first looks awful and the others appear no better.

Looks like all (or mostly all) drone brood? No honey arch at all? What is the grey patch of capped cells on the third pic (second enlargement)?

Looks like a requeening job, but may not be worth the trouble. I can see little correlation between these pics and the opening post.

unfork and throw out all the drone brood as your beees will not be able to support them. you queen is failing fast and you need to requeen.

Don't know what to make of those pics. What is the grey patch of capped cells on the third pic (second enlargement)?

The only normal worker brood in an otherwise dreadful load of shite.
Totally agree that the pics dont correlate with first post, "little drone brood" ?!!

When I initially went into the hive there were the multiple eggs in the cells but nothing was capped and it didn't look like this! I think that might explain why this does not tie in with the original post. What I was interested in was is this failing queen or laying workers. Requeening is a lot easier than eradicating laying workers.

Well possibly new specs required as I certainly have seen more than one egg in a cell from a newly started queen. Thinking on it I don't think I ever saw three but certainly two is not that unusual until she settles down.

PH

I may add to this thread later.. I'm going to leave another 10 days or so though I might take out the frames with all this drone brood before they emerge. Thanks for the suggestions

BBKpr - why wait for another ten days? Just compounds the problem. I would intervene asap.

I may be wrong but I had two hives with a similar problem - one now is doing fine with plenty normal brood. I will assume this was a queen just settling in. I had hoped this hive would follow suit. Given the pics i know it's now unlikely. Would you suggest finding the queen and re-queening?

Back