moving supers between hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomB

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Hi,

We extracted a super today and now have the situation of our strong hive not having any supers while our weaker hive has two half-capped supers.

I was looking at moving one of the weaker hive's supers onto the stronger hive to let them finish capping it and to alleviate the burden on the weaker hive.

Will swapping supers like that cause problems? I was going to move it without any bees..

Thanks!

If the concern is that the hive now doesnt have any supers.

why did you remove them?

dishmop I think he isnt concerned about the hunger factor, more maybe about getting the job finished on the other two supers? Hopefully domb you did make sure there were enough stores else why did you remove super?

The only thing that would make me pause is why is colony weak? are you risking introducing something to your other strong hive?

Why not put the extracted super back onto the hive?

Fera recommend that you keep supers "hive specific" i.e do not switch them between hives to lessen the spread of disease.

Thanks all.

Yes, this is just to get the job finished on the remaining two supers.

Just for info, the weak hive is only weak 'cos it swarmed earlier in the year - otherwise it seems fine.

The stronger hive is actually a swarm from the (now) weaker one, so I suspect any disease the first has the second will also have. Is disease the primary concern when moving supers between hives?

"Is disease the primary concern when moving supers between hives?"

yes - as per above - supers should really be hive specific (also helps when assessing yields for selecting breeding stock).

I agree that they 'should really' be hive specific, but what with drifting, low level robbing and drones hip-hopping between hives I do wonder if the disease argument holds up for adjacent colonies.

Also, if the concern is 'disease prevention' then surely we should also have a different hive tool for each hive, wash hands or change gloves between hives when inspecting, and never ever transfer brood or test frames between them? :rolleyes:

:iagree:

Within an apiary seriously impractical- think about test frames and reuniting colonies. I would run out of equipment by April.

Oops : didn't fully read last post and therefore repetition. Go to jail and do not collect £500.

Last edited:
Thanks all.

These two hives are almost one in the same; the second is the swarm of the first and they've always been physically close to each other. As it sounds like disease is the main concern with moving the supers, and I'm guessing that whatever one has the other also has, I'll clear one super of bees and move it onto the second hive in the hope i end up with two full supers to extract (instead of teh two 3/4 full ones I think I'll get otherwise)

Thanks for all your help

Latest posts

Back