Moving in?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughMann

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Set up 2 hives and 3 nukes over a month ago.
Frames with wax foundation, swarm attractant, rubbed on bees wax and propolis inside.
Nothing for 5/6 weeks apart from the odd scout a few weeks ago
Then today.....ALL entrances being used as if swarms have moved in!! In one day!!
But
No actual swarms spotted, just loads of activity. Also no pollen going in (as is happening on a nest in the wall of the house!)
How many scouts do they send out before moving day?
They have certainly left scouts over night, but I am pretty sure no swarm arrived at any of the boxes (not had much else to do than watch all day!)

I had a similar situation recently where bees were interested in one of my swarm boxes. 20-30 bees at any one time.
I decided to put two other boxes within about 20' to see which size they preferred and the interest never got much above 30 bees which continually did the round trip of assessing size before dissappearing over the hedge to report their find.
Within a couple of days the bees had settled on one of about 35 litres and moved in but I didn't see if the volume of bees increased significantly immediately prior to occupation. On other boxes I've seem maybe a hundred bees immediately before the incoming swarm.
It certainly sounds like you have a significant interest but if I were you I would remove all but 1 or 2 frames from the boxes as the bees seem to like to be able to assess the size of the cavity which is not easy with foundation in the way. When the bees take up residence you can slip more frames in. I use frames with starter strips in my bait hives.
Good luck

I had a similar situation recently where bees were interested in one of my swarm boxes. 20-30 bees at any one time.
I decided to put two other boxes within about 20' to see which size they preferred and the interest never got much above 30 bees which continually did the round trip of assessing size before dissappearing over the hedge to report their find.
Within a couple of days the bees had settled on one of about 35 litres and moved in but I didn't see if the volume of bees increased significantly immediately prior to occupation. On other boxes I've seem maybe a hundred bees immediately before the incoming swarm.
It certainly sounds like you have a significant interest but if I were you I would remove all but 1 or 2 frames from the boxes as the bees seem to like to be able to assess the size of the cavity which is not easy with foundation in the way. When the bees take up residence you can slip more frames in. I use frames with starter strips in my bait hives.
Good luck

Good advice, thanks
No change in the interest today, so started scouting about myself for a swarm.
Found it under my first swarm trap I had forgoten about! Under a polly veg box in an oak tree.
Seems like they didn't like the inside - or the inside is full maybe.
Went up on a ladder and put loads into a nuc, put it on the ground and waited for the others to join - instead they all came out the nuc and went back into the tree.
So I will wait and see if this lot is after the other homes prepared and maybe tomorrow they will be 'in the bag'
Took this short vid
https://youtu.be/K74_SH8Cvhc
'

Yey - today they flew straight to my hive! (well more like circled)
Looks like they couldn't all fit in the polly swarm trap they were at last night.
I sat at the new hive as they swarmed in, all ignoring me as I filmed
Q - how many days before I lift the lid and see if laying is occurring?
https://youtu.be/l6Akx5KQZe0

Lovely sight, Hugh.
Are they all in now? Take a look under the hive just to be sure, quite a few bees gathered below the stand as they moved in, with an OMF they think they are with the rest and stay there.
I have this problem to sort out with my landlord, his bees had made their own entrance at the back of the hive floor so he sealed it. Finding the entrance gone, they went just below and now they have the colony smell, think they are home. Don't know how long it's been going on but the clump of bees under the hive covers the entire OMF. :(
Very big colony of not very nice bees so that's going to be fun.

Thanks
Yes they all went in
I just don't know how many days before I lift the lid and see if laying is occurring?

Give them seven days to settle in and build some comb. If prime swarm you may even see eggs and larvae by then. Enjoyed the video - thanks.

Give them seven days to settle in and build some comb. If prime swarm you may even see eggs and larvae by then. Enjoyed the video - thanks.

Excellent - 7 days it is.
Just popped a pollen patty in a feeder on top and water nearby (they seemed very thirsty and quite a few went to that)

Just popped a pollen patty in a feeder on top and water nearby (they seemed very thirsty
Forget the pollen patty - rather pointless, the reason they're going for the water is that they need it to be able to handle the patty.
Just give them a good feed of 1:1 syrup to help them draw comb ASAP

Forget the pollen patty - rather pointless, the reason they're going for the water is that they need it to be able to handle the patty.
Just give them a good feed of 1:1 syrup to help them draw comb ASAP

Got 2lb of sugar in bottles ouside hive for them
Then at the end of the day, when little flying was going on I realised what I had done wrong - None of the bees were going back into my hive after feeding - they were coming from somewhere else!
Lesson leant - sugar water INSIDE from now on
Still, they seem happy and busy:
https://youtu.be/mUGU-NLg_HE

Got 2lb of sugar in bottles ouside hive for them
Then at the end of the day, when little flying was going on I realised what I had done wrong - None of the bees were going back into my hive after feeding - they were coming from somewhere else!
Lesson leant - sugar water INSIDE from now on
Lesson well learnt - never open feed

Latest posts

Back