moving hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryanthebee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was thinking the other day is it possible to move my hives less than the 3 miles if the bee`s have been over wintered, i thought they may forget there location,
if they have been in the hive most of the winter, and the older bee`s would of died off by then.

just a question of thought have any one else ever thought this. or tried it.

Hi Bryanthebee
It is perfectly feasible to move hives less than 3 miles in winter time. Just be very gentle and careful not to disturb the cluster.
Cazza

I would be hoping the older bees have not died off, as they will all be old by then! Most winter bees will emerge late autumn, hopefully.

I have moved hives during the winter - usually only within the apiary. No problem as long as you go about it in any of the ways they describe it, in all the good bee books.

'During the winter' is better than 'after they have overwintered', of course.

Do it in January. That will give you lots of time to read up on it.

RAB

so would you say up to a mile to be ok, as i am thinking of a new site which is not out side the 3 mile rule. hence thinking of doing in the winter.

This is really helpfull and will try and think of all the factors involved for a move, will keep you all posted of how it all goes after the move we are planning. Thanks for the info ROSECOTTAGE all makes sence when sometime we dont look how logic it should be. thanks again

Last edited:
Back