moving hives tieing down

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just so the unaware of what's shown inside the wrapped up webbing; it is an approx 3mm flat bar of mild steel shaped as shown.

There are at least two different and correct ways of using these. One way is more suited to wooden national boxes and is a little more 'aggressive', the other way is more suited to poly Langstroths. The reason for the first way being less suited to poly is the degree of force applied to the box at the point of taking up the strain. The second way allows for a bit of controlled slippage by easing off and then re-applying the force required immediately prior to the final attachment to the strap on closure.

The arguments regarding the straps themselves breaking, not the mechanisms, are a bit specious and depend on the quality of the materials used. Orange is probably not a good colour when it comes to thinking about UV resistance/screening. It doesn't take much of a sacrificial cover to give extended UV exposure life.

Using a spanset hive strap is not always as intuitive as it might be. Not as easy to use as a ratchet strap, the spanset relies upon an over-centre mechanics to cinch the strap and securing of the other, diagonally open, end of the buckle is not under any real pressure.

Does anyone require side-view drawings to show how it works?
The drawing is not to scale.

Not as easy to use as a ratchet strap,

You must be joking Hombre,i have used these straps thousands of times,takes all of 5/10 seconds to strap a hive with exactly the pressure needed,one stap around the middle,done.

Nice diagram......;)

Last edited:
I agree with you entirely Hivemaker, it sometimes takes me a little longer, but watch a novice with one and they will often struggle for a short while to get their mind around it and when they come back to do it a week later they will struggle a little less before it becomes second nature.

They do store very neatly when rolled up and are ideal when stacking boxes for transportation, with no ugly lumps destroying the stacking plans.

I'm not joking, although I do appreciate that it's often difficult to tell. The closest this came to joking was that the same image was posted twice in the thread as a real clue to newbees who were arguably, not by me, left a little in the dark.

Thanks for the compliment about the drawing. :)

Thornes website tells you how to do it if you don't know.

What I dont get is why the "spansets" cost more than the ratchets. I can pick up ratchets for £2 but cant find the "spansets" any where near that.

I can't remember the SWL on the spanset though I am sure it's less than a tonne.

That alone might allow for the price as to have a SWL figure a sample has to be tested and so on.

The ratchets are not. Further ratchets depend on the strength of the pin in the middle.

Why UV degradation comes into this loses me as I put them on, move hives, take them off and that's that. They do not stay on the boxes.

PH

Perhaps because they are better,not all cheaper things are best.

Clue from the link in post 21............The best method for holding hives together when being moved.

Perhaps because they are better,not all cheaper things are best.

Clue from the link in post 21............The best method for holding hives together when being moved.

I did not say cheaper is better I asked why they were dearer as they have less parts to them. Look at post 16 I had allready linked to them.

I have found as I leave mine on all year round that it is actually the webbing that breaks never had the ratchet part break. The spanset type also if left on all year round would probably suffer the same breakage due to the sunlight degrading the webbing.

Last edited:
Nope, they don't seem to fall apart,even when left on hives over winter,have them several years old and no problems.

Is it only from the the likes of thornes that they can be bought?

I've noticed its quite a fasion to leave ratchet straps round hives and stands in s wales. Is this to deter two footed badgers from tipping them over ?

Yep I have now moved mine to a more secure site on a farm but still use the ratchet straps (old habits)

Latest posts

Back