Moving hives 2 miles?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is yet another situation where the beekeeper needs to think.

The three mile rule covers everything - including idiot beekeepers. For instance, if those bees are foraging close to the place you are anticipating moving them, they may well ‘go home’ to the old location. Three miles covers nearly all instances because bees rarely forage more than a mile and a half from the hive.

If moving them from one valley to another, they are unlikely to go back over the hill.

Some thinking necessary on the part of the beekeeper, if moving them a shorter distance than 3 miles. Simple as that.

I've been moving hives within 2 miles for a long time never had a problem. I suppose it depends on terrain and forage and time of year. Lots of hills and forage would be different than moving them on flat ground with minimal forage where bees can travel up to 10 miles for good supplies

Reactions: Kaz
I've been moving hives within 2 miles for a long time never had a problem. I suppose it depends on terrain and forage and time of year. Lots of hills and forage would be different than moving them on flat ground with minimal forage where bees can travel up to 10 miles for good supplies
Is the 10 miles made up or from experience?
Apologies for being blunt!

yes so laying queen and nuc is established - so it was just a simple question of how long to leave them at the temporary out apiary before returning back to my main apiary (1.5km from their current location)

- is it 1 day , 1 week or 1 month ?

yes so laying queen and nuc is established - so it was just a simple question of how long to leave them at the temporary out apiary before returning back to my main apiary (1.5km from their current location)

- is it 1 day , 1 week or 1 month ?
As I said previously 3 weeks is the time required for all the foragers to die who have a memory of the original location so ideally 3 weeks but try earlier, I'm sure you won't lose many.

Back