Moving bumble bee nest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saradan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi Beeks

I've been asked to move a bumble bee nest. I've done my usual piece about they'll die off end of Summer, very placid etc, but unfortunately the owners need access to the area of the garden where the nest is located as they have construction work starting shortly..

Fortunately the colony are in a disused Rabbit hutch, so moving the hutch should mean no disturbance to the nest.

The owners have a large garden and the hutch could be easily relocated elsewhere in the garden. Failing that I've offered to have it on my allotment until the Autumn. Which site we choose will depend on whether bumble bees follow the 3 ft/3 mile rule.

Does anyone know?

Blimey! I would suggest that you err on the side of caution and go for three miles!

I think its further than 3 miles in terms of the range they can fly but I doubt they will.

I get plenty of calls from the public and each time I tell them I won't disturb them no matter what the situation or excuse I'm given as their season is very short and they very rarely cause serious problems unless they feel they are being attacked. I'm glad to say most pest controllers won't deal with them either even if its an easy job for easy money.

Latest posts

Back