Moving bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrswilbz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi I am getting my bees and hive at the weekend, it's basically the only time I am going to have the chance to go and get them. I have read that you shouldn't really move them at this time of year, do you think they will be ok, or is it a big no no

Its fine to move bees at this time of year, obviously all the normal precautions for moving hives still apply i.e. hive parts must be secured together and ventilation must be provided, completely close the entrance with a solid block. Generally I have moved hives in the winter when setting up new apiaries, I put the ventilation screen over the crownboard in winter and nailed through both. That way you don't chill the brood in the back of your car but the bees can still come out into the space between the screen and crownboard if they need to cool down.

Good luck.

Last edited:
With varroa floors it is not necessary to put a travelling screen on the top but make sure you have an air gap and the inspection board removed

The actual business of shifting them now isn't a real problem - but at this time of the year (with these temperatures) you do need to be more gentle and take the greatest possible care to avoid bumping or jolting the hive.

Something that is rather more of a concern is that you can't see (or check) what you are getting ...

But as always, make certain that the hive is completely secure and cannot twist apart. And secure it within the vehicle, the hive falling over or sliding about isn't going to do you, or the bees, any good at all.
Ventilation shouldn't be a problem for an hour or two in these cool temperatures.

Hi I am getting my bees and hive at the weekend, it's basically the only time I am going to have the chance to go and get them. I have read that you shouldn't really move them at this time of year, do you think they will be ok, or is it a big no no
every one so far has been spot on but no one has asked how far are you moving them

Undue disturbance of the cluster is a bad thing, if they are indeed tightly clustered. We are going through a relatively mild winter and your bees' particular level of activity should be taken into account. Mine have taken several opportunities to pop out for a 'look around' lately. I'm reminded of a recent post where bees were moved a few feet (for a while).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moving Hives

Ok having read various posts about moving hives please could someone advise me. ? I have read numerous books that indicate distances of moving hives min and max.
My problem is that I cannot put them in my allotment until I havr taken the BBKA Basic and had bees for a year.
I was thinking of keeping them in my garden for the first year and then move to plot but it is only about 4oo yds ( Sorry old money ) as the bee flies is this workable and if so do I assume when cold / frosty ?

If moving only 400yds at this time of year I would wait until we have had about 5 consecutive days when the bees don't fly i.e wet / windy / very cold weather (shouldn't be a problem in the UK). Then when moved shove a bit of grass loosely over the entrance to help make them reorient. You may lose a few but not enough to really matter.

Keep them in garden until Basic attained. Wait until cold winter (assume next year as no timescale given). Move chilled bees carefully as of advice given when over wintering. However, you should have a contingency move planned, especially as a beginner, if your garden has neighbours, just in case your bees get naughty. That will need to be some distance away, through active season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have moved three hives early January - 30 meters - with no issues.

Mind you it was cold, and damp and no self respecting bee had been out for a week...

400 yards? OK with care.. Two people and rests...:)

You make no mention of your local association. Have you joined? Do they have an apiary? If yes, you could keep bees there and have some help with your husbandry in the first year. It is a steep learning curve.

Keep them in garden until Basic attained. ... However, you should have a contingency move planned, especially as a beginner, if your garden has neighbours, just in case your bees get naughty. That will need to be some distance away, through active season.

Yes, you need a 'plan B' - somewhere you can move them to, pretty well immediately, if there should happen to be any problems at home or with the neighbours.
And that should be more than a couple of miles away - and prepared to put up with stroppy bees! At least while you sort things out... (Association sites can usually meet these criteria.)

Short distance moves can be done in a period of cold (non-flying) weather.
Or, at other times you can move the hive out of the area ("3+ miles"), wait for a turnover in the flying worker population (as little as a month in mid-summer) and then bring the colony back to the new site.

Uzzy

"My problem is that I cannot put them in my allotment until I havr taken the BBKA Basic and had bees for a year".

Do you have a mentor who could be "responsible" for the bees until you get your Bee Basic? In that way you could keep the bees on the allotment before passing the exam.

Otherwise a garden can be a great place for a hive.

I'll be moving my hives soon to Wirksworth. What is the best way of blocking them in on a polly hive? I have varroa floors. I bought travelling screens as well. They will be travelling around 150 miles on the back of an open topped truck. I am concerned about the rushing wind whist travelling. Should I replace the varroa floors with the travelling screen simultaeously blocking them and providing ventilation? Thanks

Ely,
On the back of an open truck is just like being on site, I'd take them as they are unless it's a hot day, in which case I'd put the screen on. When's the move?

Ely,
On the back of an open truck is just like being on site, I'd take them as they are unless it's a hot day, in which case I'd put the screen on. When's the move?

Cheers. 1st of March dude

Latest posts

Back