Moving a Hive in winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cobble together a "Sedan Chair" hive mover.... lock in,, in the early morning..
move as the Sun rises!
Easy this time of year

Nos da

Close it up in the evening, then come back the next day and gaffer tape all the seams, strap it front/back and left/right then put it on a sack truck and strap it to the sack truck too. use the sack truck like an ambulance chair to lift it up/down steps etc. The wife and I moved 4 hives this way early last year down a garden that was akin to a small mountain (which included multiple sets of steps) and then into their new locations which quite honestly weren't much better TBH, just went up instead of down.. :D

Could ownership of bees/hive be in dispute ?
Brood boxes ... "cold way" Super ... "warm way" Strange.
I wonder who roped the hive.

Before you move the hive, prepare the new site. You may wish to place it quickly and retreat. The bees may not be happy after a trip on modern roads.

My dilemma.
I hate breaking into a brood in December BUT a new beekeeper in our Division had bought a colony from someone who is giving up.
Asked for my help.. Happy to assist move.. good time.. problem.. there is a b......y queen excluder between the brood box and the honey stuffed-full super above.
The new keeper did grin at me and suggest I carry out my threat to the chap ( I warned every new bee keeper in my Division that if I found a QE in any hive over winter, they would have to cut apiary grass back with nail clippers!!!)
So this frosty morning -3 I have to 'sort out' the colony.

Hint to newbees. plan well beforehand, every bit of necessary equipment to hand, keep bees covered as much as pos to prevent flying -Cover boards, towels, and retain warmth. Act quickly but gently.

Back