move from "brood and a half" to 14" single brood?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Coleman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have a very lively colony which filled a brood and a half last summer, haven't opened them up yet this spring, but there are a lot flying, loads of pollen coming in, generally look healthy.

The B&H was a pain in he neck to inspect last year, so I was thinking about transferring them to a single large brood box.

Any views on this, and, if you think it's a good idea, how would you do it?

Hi Andy - Welcome

There are various means, depending on what you want to achieve. You'll find that the subject has been covered comprehensively elsewhere on the forum. Two methods that spring to mind (both with advantages and disadvantages) are shook swarm and Bailey comb change. I'll be doing this later this year and my methodology will depend on the rate of build up and prevailing conditions (I may decide not to, if conditions aren't favourable).

Hi Andy... was a Dorking man meself untill the house prices up there escallated so much I could sell up and buy half of Cornwall!
Bee interested to see how you get on fitting a BIG BB in a WBC unless you can manufacture some taller lifts?

Now the flood gates of scorn and accusations of beeing the true and original Mr Potatoe~head will rain down on my minimalist knowledge!!!

The Bell then the Tirolla cafe now a fancy gift shop or is it an estate agents now?

I know what you mean about Dorking prices, we talk about moving somewhere when I get round to retiring, it would be nice to have the bees in the back garden! I envy you the Tamar valley, rather beautiful, and I imagine you have plenty of space?

I don't remember the Bell or the Tirolla cafe - where was that, and when?

Thornes sold me a large WBC brood box, and I'm assuming I will just use more lifts to what ever height I need (the lifts are all std size). Despite the drawbacks of WBC, I'm sticking with them on my first apiary site, because they have done so well over the winter, although maybe nothing to do with the hive.

The Bailey comb change suggested by Moggs is recommended for early Spring, so I think I will give that a go.

Bell PH long gone as is the old Rockers cafe the Tirolla.....

Just phoned an old friend who still lives in Westcott, The Bell went in 1962 in a fire? the Tirolla was closed down in about 1968 due to complaints about noisey motorcycles.... just googleearthed it and I think it was in North Street.. now appears to be a carpark!
I use to caretake some hives up Cotmondene... WBCs of course.. amusing old beek had a pennyfarthing bicycle he rode regularly to Beare Green to visit his sister................ mad as a hatter............ the A23/29 was a country road then!!

The vicar at Bear Green... well between Dorking and Bear Green had a huge number of hives, that area of Surrey seemed to be popular for beeks
Sadly things must change!

Latest posts

Back