Mouse droppings on varroa board-What to do? Abelo Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just checked a varroa board and found several dried mouse droppings suggesting, I suppose, that there is a resident mouse. Its an Abelo hive with entrance reducer which I thought would prevent mice entering. Dont think they do a specific mouse excluder. Am thinking of opening the hive tomorrow last of the 'warm' days predicted to be 14c to investigate. Any advice anyone? Also put fondant feed on today.

Attachments

• mouse droppings.jpg
    mouse droppings.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 45
With a lack of any signs of serious uncapping I would hazard the mouse is seeking shelter at night on the inspection tray

Try giving the sides of the hive a few drum beats with your hands and see if anything comes out.

Mice go to the Varroa board for food which drops through the mesh of the OMF as pollen, varroa, sugar crystals and various bee parts. The gastro-anal reflex then comes into play so food in triggering "poop" out.They then return to their nest.

I had a "mouse in the hive" scare earlier this year but it turned out to be slugs - the droppings are very similar. At this time of year you don't really want to be taking the brood box apart unless you're sure there's a mouse there. Look for other signs of a mouse before precipitate action.

CVB

Sort out your beekeeping methodology.

'I thought' and 'I suppose' is no way to keep bees. Find out for certain.

Effective mouse guards prevent mouse access. Full stop.

If mice are visiting, they may well stay and destroy the colony. If you have a mouse in residence, it needs to be removed, or is likely to destroy the colony. As per JBM, use your varroa boards properly - for checking varroa!

Sort out your beekeeping methodology.

'I thought' and 'I suppose' is no way to keep bees. Find out for certain.

Effective mouse guards prevent mouse access. Full stop.

If mice are visiting, they may well stay and destroy the colony. If you have a mouse in residence, it needs to be removed, or is likely to destroy the colony. As per JBM, use your varroa boards properly - for checking varroa!
Good points but cant be definite unless I open up the hive to inspect. Replies really helpful with most saying a mouse on the varroa board and a quick reply from Damien at Abelo saying the same. I tried banging the side as suggested by Kighill but nothing other than guard bees coming to see whats happening. Have decided to not open the hive, but look out for other signs and 'suppose' it was a mouse on the varroa board not in the hive. Unless anyone has different advice. (Just wondering if a mirror under the OMF with a stong torch could reveal anything-anyone tried it?)

I tried banging the side as suggested by Kighill but nothing other than guard bees coming to see whats happening. Have decided to not open the hive, but look out for other signs and 'suppose' it was a mouse on the varroa board not in the hive. Unless anyone has different advice. (Just wondering if a mirror under the OMF with a stong torch could reveal anything-anyone tried it?)

If you are going to bang the hive you have to take the entrance block out first then give the box a mighty thump (roof is safest)
Better than a mirror, take a video with your camera panning up and down the floor .....slowly.
BUT like I said earlier....if the is not lots of rubbish around the scat I very much doubt there is a mouse IN the hive

Just been up to hives with a mirror and a good torch. Quite interesting, knelt down looking upwards rather than downwards. No mice or nest seen so quite reassured, just bees.

Latest posts

Back