Mouldy/stained brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes,

I couldn't see the problem of having an extra box below the main brood box;

1. it keeps the bees / cluster away from the cold OMF or entrance,
2 it helps create a 'dead air space' beneath the brood* / cluster area,
3. warmer air rises, so the warm air will gather in the super and the top of the top brood box, the bees will not try and heat the bottom brood box.

Windy conditions and open mesh floors removes heat away from the upper box by accelerated diffusion. It's why my insert trays/boards remain in all winter. Much less heat loss.
Having a cold empty lower box mean bees leaving to fly have to traverse through a very cold area before flying and climb back through a cold area after flying. Perhaps better to have upper entrances if you have a large cold dead space before lower entrance.

Last edited:
With several of my hives this winter I wrapped the stands with pallet wrap to create a volume of still air below the OMF and reduce the draught in the hive. They seem to be doing well but we won't know till the spring!

Attachments

• IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 30
With several of my hives this winter I wrapped the stands with pallet wrap to create a volume of still air below the OMF and reduce the draught in the hive. They seem to be doing well but we won't know till the spring!

That's clever.

Even better, put a super underneath and a solid floor under that. With the Varroa sheet in every now and then you can still see what the drop is like.

Back