Most expensive honey in Britain?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually I take it all back.

Hive sponsors can visit their bees and WPFB will "rap you up safe and sound". £28 is a bargain for 4 jars honey, bee experience AND live musical entertainment. Is it anywhere near Yeo Valley?

Briefly saw them at the honey show. It might be re-con poly (grey colour) but check it out with them if you are interested.

Briefly saw them at the honey show. It might be re-con poly (grey colour) but check it out with them if you are interested.

he only had shows hives made of low density poly at the honey show think they are going to be 100gm weight graphite poly, dont know if that is good or bad

Did not seem to be much bees space above the floor, but take that with a pinch of salt as i have several rants on the forum about floor with zero bee space

There was a thread recently pointing to a health food site site selling honey for £72 a jar. To make matters worse the self same honey is available from the producers themselves (I'm pretty sure not associated with the site) for £3 or £4.

The hives you saw at the honey show were cnc milled prototypes. I understand that the production run will be in January.

Wow, site makes interesting reading reading! Only had a quick look at 'Honey' and 'Bees' pages. 2 -100 in one season, looking for 100-900 next year! does say hives, but I think they mean colonies.
All on organic or sustainable farming land where (Ware) possible.

Interesting they are using graphite. What benefits does it add to the polystyrene?

This was added to PU furniture foam in the late 80's to make it fire retardant.
Nowadays used in contract furniture applications like aircraft and rail.

Interesting they are using graphite. What benefits does it add to the polystyrene?

If you run out of pencils you can write with a lump of hive. simples.

Hi,

I think the stated reason is that it helps protect against UV so you don't need to paint the hives. Don't know much about this sort of technology but if it works -without compromising any other aspect of the boxes then it sounds like a good idea....

Best,
Roland

Hive sponsors can visit their bees and WPFB will "rap you up safe and sound". £28 is a bargain for 4 jars honey, bee experience AND live musical entertainment.

You owe me a new keyboard....

we will also send you 4 jars of honey throughout the year."

for £28 a year I would be happy to recieve 4 jars of honey throughout the year, although would like clarification if I recieve the four jars daily, weekly or monthly! :laughing-smiley-014

I know a bit of the back ground for weald place farm bee's and a little of future plans that william has, i take my hat of to him and wish him all the luck he deserves.

One question i would like to ask of everyone who thinks £28 in sponsership is expensive is this.

How much does it cost to set up a hive and maintaine it each year.

One question i would like to ask of everyone who thinks £28 in sponsership is expensive is this.

How much does it cost to set up a hive and maintaine it each year.

If the hives were set up for conservation purposes, and one was sponsoring the maintenance of, say, a hollow tree that might otherwise be felled, that might be a reasonable point. But as this is clearly a way to extract money from the ignorant, IMO it does the cause no particular good - especially as they are clearly importing bees from far and wide into the country and supplying beginners with queens and nucs - at no small cost (extortionate cost, some would say) which will most likely supersede in their first season, their daughters mating with local mongrels, leaving bewildered newbies wondering what happened to their nice, gentle 'Buckfast' bees.

But I expect he is doing very nicely, thank you.

Last edited:
Can you have multiple sponsorships of the same hive?

If the hives were set up for conservation purposes, and one was sponsoring the maintenance of, say, a hollow tree that might otherwise be felled, that might be a reasonable point. But as this is clearly a way to extract money from the ignorant

Hi,

There is a precedent in the form of 'sponsoring' rows of grapes and getting bottles of wine at the end of the year (from commercial enterprises). Not something which would interest me but then, I don't drink wine and I've got English honey. But maybe I'd consider sponsoring half of a grass fed steer....

Best,
Roland

Hi,

There is a precedent in the form of 'sponsoring' rows of grapes and getting bottles of wine at the end of the year (from commercial enterprises). Not something which would interest me but then, I don't drink wine and I've got English honey. But maybe I'd consider sponsoring half of a grass fed steer....

Best,
Roland

There is a big difference Roland. The grape thing is not sponsorship it's a syndicate. Your return in quantity and/or quality of wine is supposed to be at least as good as if you bought the wine on the open market. You share some of the risk with the vineyard in return for some of the rewards. But "Young William's" scheme gives people a worse deal than the open market - unless they take him up on his visit offer, in which case he'll discover he's selling it too cheap.

He's an Essex lad,it's in H'estuary english, if ya no wot i meen
Hi Muswell
I'll a London lad myself, it doesn't matter how you spell on these forums as long as you are understood, but I have worked in advertising all my life and how you present yourself in business reflex's on your business, also lived in Essex... an i no wot ya meen...
lol. How are the leafy lanes of Muswell Hill, ain't been there for years.
regards
Steven

Latest posts

Back