Monitoring Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get very good measurements from reseaches. Some has been done in labotatory, where they can change factor, the whole nature is not mixed in results.
The laboratory results do not replicate the real world conditions in The Yukon, in Scotland, Finland or Australia. Many times I have seen the conclusions drawn from science-based research in beekeeping being criticised; in particular when these sorts of dynamics are discussed.

I believe the OP is talking about placing a passive small device, not opening up the hive (unless I understand this wrong). If so, nothing wrong with that IMO. Could help (if placed correctly) identifying broodless period/s during winter (for OA treatment) for example.
Yes, I have been at pains to try to express very clearly that I am not disturbing the bees at all. A clear crown board permits having a "topside view" of the bees, which propolise the crown board to the hive box. The crown board does have a 45mm diameter hole to enable syrup feeding when that is needed, but in winter this hole is sealed. The thermometer is laid on top of the crown board, and registers the temperature of the top surface of the crown board which has a thick slab of polystyrene insulation above it. If fondant or sugar cake has been supplied as winter food for the bees, on top of the frames, it is immediately possible to see how much food they still have.
No disturbance of any kind to the bees, and easy viewing for the beekeeper when it seems necessary

And as Beebe says, nothing wrong with a bit of curiosity, the non invasive type.

The laboratory results do not replicate the real world conditions in The Yukon, in Scotland, Finland or Australia. Many times I have seen the conclusions

You may use your brain, how you read the results, and the problem of the reseach.

Beebe, Yokon winter is such that you cannot understan what it means. Australian winter in South like summer in Yukon.

British beekeepers keep their country so special, that no one has such climate. Holland and Denmark are not very far from Scotland. As far as East Finland and West Finland.

Yokon winter is such that you cannot understan what it means. Australian winter in South like summer in Yukon.
Finman, you spoil your own argument. You are incorrect. It is a simple matter to check summer temperature in Yukon, and winter temperature in Melbourne. Yukon winter is similar to Saskatchewan, Canada, where my daughter-in-law grew up. Please check your "facts" properly.

No gadgets just eyes required, amuch easier way and a lot cheaper is to mark the correx floor with lines, monitoring as well as other things the capping’s, this enables us to check the direction of travel is the same as the location of the stores.
We will be setting our hives up in the next week or so, on the first available suitable day, we move all the stores to one side of the brood area, dummy board on the other side of the brood area.
The bees will move in the direction of the stores, we can tell this is happening without opening the hive just by looking at the capping’s on the floor, we mark the date on the correx, when they hit the wall they move up into the brood box that has more stores.

Finman, you spoil your own argument. You are incorrect. It is a simple matter to check summer temperature in Yukon, and winter temperature in Melbourne. Yukon winter is similar to Saskatchewan, Canada, where my daughter-in-law grew up. Please check your "facts" properly.

No need to check the fackts.
I can see from Yukon vegetation, how cold place Yukon is. Look pictures from google.

If I were you, I wuold not speak anything about winter.

You may use your brain, how you read the results, and the problem of the reseach.

Beebe, Yokon winter is such that you cannot understan what it means. Australian winter in South like summer in Yukon.

British beekeepers keep their country so special, that no one has such climate. Holland and Denmark are not very far from Scotland. As far as East Finland and West Finland.
You say it's not possible for me to understand the conditions in other countries. But you say I can adapt laboratory results to my own situation.
I think you just like to disagree.

You say it's not possible for me to understand the conditions in other countries. But you say I can adapt laboratory results to my own situation.
I think you just like to disagree.

It is enough, that I understand my region's conditions. And perhaps I understand after 60 years beekeeping.
Beebe, you do not even know, what kind of laboratorio researhes I have found from google, but you claim that they are worth nothing. When you see a reseach, you must conclude yourself, do it helps you to understand, how bees overwinter.

My bee's winter is 8 month long. Bees use only sugar as food from September to April. And pollen.
During 5 months they cannot fly out and cannot pick water. And bees do not dry up in their hut. They cannot drink condensation water from walls, like many say/know.

These are things, what most wise guys cannot even imagine. And then some beginners come to debate with me, that I do not understand about winter.

It's pointless having a debate about what someone thinks someone knows or means.

It is enough, that I understand my region's conditions. And perhaps I understand after 60 years beekeeping.
Beebe, you do not even know, what kind of laboratorio researhes I have found from google, but you claim that they are worth nothing. When you see a reseach, you must conclude yourself, do it helps you to understand, how bees overwinter.

My bee's winter is 8 month long. Bees use only sugar as food from September to April. And pollen.
During 5 months they cannot fly out and cannot pick water. And bees do not dry up in their hut. They cannot drink condensation water from walls, like many say/know.

These are things, what most wise guys cannot even imagine. And then some beginners come to debate with me, that I do not understand about winter.
I didn't say what you say I said.

Latest posts

Back