Moments

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ely

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
For the academics out there. I'm doing an access course with a hope to go onto radiography.

I'm struggling to get my head around 'moments' in the physics sense of the word. Are there any physics experts here that could explain it to me? Thanks

What do you want to know? In equilibrium momentare equal (clockwise and anticlockwise)

They are basically levers so the longer the distance from the fulcrum the more effect they have. With levers, (think crowbar as an example), the force * distance is equal on both sides so the short one will move proportionally less than the longer one - provided enough force is applied to the longer part. Actual movement of the point of force will be work done, of course (force * distance moved in the direction of the force).

You might think of dad and son playing on a see-saw. Big dad has to sit closer to the fulcrum than little son. Ratios of distances are the inverse of their weight ratio for balance. If dad is twice the weight of son he has to sit half the distance from the fulcrum; so that the product of weight and distance are the same for them to balance - only thing is nthey are in opposite directions (clocwise and anti-clockwise).

Examples only - works just as well with daughters and/or mums etc.

Just remember it is force not mass, although that does not alter the calculations. You must use Newtons not kilograms; on Earth there are 10 Newtons for every kilogram mass due to the gravitational force of the Earth on the object but one could strictly say 'kilograms force', meaning 10 Newtons for each kg force on Earth, but you do need to watch your units or you may lose marks in the exam or assignments.

Hope that helps. Pm me if you are still stuck.

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
Its the "turning strength" at a point caused by a force acting on the point, but not acting directly through the point.

Then try again with what o90o said! :)

Latest posts

Back