Mole Hunting Stories

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Omg i chuckle at the old wives tales, windmills, music, heavy metal, etc, LOL

Winter months i am a mole catcher by trade. If you put pins with plastic bottles on them in the ground and the mole left! It wasnt becuase of the plastic bottles.. Trust me. I have had customers near to suicide with moles driving them near crazy, inconsolable LOL and they have tried everything but dynamite.

The reason why the mole went away after putting the plastic bottles on pegs, was simple. Can you work it out?

I suspect that I am only one of many waiting for your next uttering on the subject.

I can't imagine that the mole got skewered in the process. I reckon it's the worms that go away because of the vibration, but I'm just guessing as that answer seems a bit speculative. :)

Do tell :svengo:

The reason why the mole went away after putting the plastic bottles on pegs, was simple. Can you work it out?

The bottles were full of some disgusting cheap cider, consequently the moles either drank it, got pissed and died of liver failure....or decided to move somewhere else with better booze on offer.

LOL.

No the reason is much more simple than that. There was no food there for them and they would have gone anyway. Use your loafs!

OK so husband is not a part time pestie he is a full time moleman! plus rat and wasp man! ONLY way to sort out moles is to use a human brake back trap - GET IN a pro it is so much more straightforward. moving a mole to someone elses ground??? where would you suggest?? some farmer who has to pay for mole clearance because the hills contaminate his feed and kills his cows? not very nice. Sonics are a waste of time Try traditional mole catchers register to find someone in your area who can help.

My neighbour (where the moles went) disturbed my afternoon (building a hive stand) by landing a helicopter next to the house (noisy things). I just wish that moles burrowed large enough holes to swallow helicopters....

I've nailed 17 of the little sods in the last 18 months. These traps are the best by far:

http://www.trapman.co.uk/pro-scissor-mole-trap.html

If you have a serious infestation, you need a lot of traps - I've got about 20 underground at the moment clearing a paddock - though activity is pretty minimal now that the ground is frozen, only got 2 in this "campaign" so far.

These traps pretty much chop them in half, so about as humane as trapping can be.

Never had any success with the sonic repellants - indeed the mole hills seemed to follow the device.

Hedgerow Pete - Duffus traps are definately the best, try them on the deeper runs as well! OH and me run about 350 -450 traps (not all at the same time/place. the added joy is that they can also catch 2 in one tunnel at this time of year.

Currently on my first farm of the season - OH gives me the farms to do as the apprentice! He gets the domestic jobs with the cups of tea and cakes!!

Last year I had over 80 of this current farm. up to 23 so far this year on this farm,

Must get out and do the one in my back garden though!!

Current price i believe is about 5p a mole, and unfortuneately not worth the hard work it takes to skin the blighters!
and as for the sonic vibrators - save your money!! we have even seen these pushed out of the ground by moles!

I have a couple of Duffus traps and have caught many moles with them but does anyone know how to stop the moles that are not stupid from stuffing them full of soil and them going under or round them:(

What I have found that is 100% effective is the small charge/detonator that is fired electrically when the mole triggers the switch by pushing soil up. good but expensive and probably not legal in the UK:)

Must make the effort though my garden and apiary looks like an open cast site.

you need an old glass sweet jar to catch the mole
no one worked it out??

find the moles run dig a hole under the run and sink the sweet jar into the ground,, cover over with the turf, Mr mole comes along his run falls into the jar and is trapped alive, you can then remove somewhere for release or teach to swim in the jar.

mark

mjbee easy one to solve - set the trap better!!! :) very annoying when they do that - had 3 dumped yesturday and bless the little sod it was at the furthest walking point on the farm in a field called the steeps - Yes at the bottom of the steeps!!! OH just tells me that is why i am the mole trappers apprentice not the mole trapper!!

TBH think its more to do with sometimes them pushing dirt and sometimes they are just travelling the tunnels to collect worms. (have you noticed though that as well as filling trap with dirt, if you look below where the run is they have usually re done the run just under trap! saves re digging, just clean it out smooth run down and away you go!

Last edited:
i am a rural pest controller and moles make up around 60% of my work, i have only just joined this site as i have my first colony of bees this year and cant believe i`m talking about moles already lol.
just a few things after reading this thread.

humane mole traps not that humane really and where are you going to release it etc.

sonic thingys dont work

moles dont have breather holes if there is a mole in there the system will be sealed up they dont like drafts and they dont like weasels, open tunnels = no mole.

moles will sometimes fill your traps with soil just keep resetting, make sure they are tight and covered with fine soil (no drafts) and you will get him.

my fav trap duffus from the flatpack company, also talpex traps and i have some trapline traps from usa for tight spots.

good luck in your mole trapping.

Hello Trapperman, hows that nuc coming on? :D

mole-control-hampshire.png

:D

o.k let me take a wild stab in the dark, j.k am i right.

i cant believe you are on here as well as the men on men forum where your called "its my turn to be the girl" :biggrinjester:

Latest posts

Back