Module 3/Spray Liaison Scheme

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
>20
It is a sad indictment of Beekeeping Associations in Northern Ireland that they do not appear to operate any sort of formal Spray Liaison Scheme...

Bearing that in mind, could one of the helpful forumers pass me on details of a Spray liason Scheme operated by an association they belong to - I would like to be able to refer meaningfully to such a scheme if asked about it in the Module 3 exam.

I invented a system for Module 3 based on a "high risk" arable area. Sounds fine on paper...

Would never work for our BKA (we do have a listed SLO) as we have beekeeping members in six postal counties and loads of different parishes. The only notification we have had in the last three years was for local bracken spraying to us which then wasn't done that week and had been by the time the email with the rescheduled date came through.

I invented a system for Module 3 based on a "high risk" arable area. Sounds fine on paper...

Would never work for our BKA (we do have a listed SLO) as we have beekeeping members in six postal counties and loads of different parishes. The only notification we have had in the last three years was for local bracken spraying to us which then wasn't done that week and had been by the time the email with the rescheduled date came through.

for module 3 as our BKA is urban I phoned up an ajoining rural BKA and asked to speak to Mr X the spray liason officer (as shown in the county list).....,Answered with , am i in there as that ! no thats got to be wrong

so like you i invented a scheme...urban, parks and golf courses with arable OSR on the edge....would the local private golf courses or local authoroity parks think of teling us about spraying, have they ever seen a NFU or BBKA leaflet for Bees if spaying a bruswood killer, broadleaf weedkiller, leather jackets, etc , all we get is a sign tapped to lamp post...path spraying next week/.......like milk not coming from Cows..honey comes from Tescos not beehives

Last edited:
Hampshire would be a very good bet after all the activity surrounding their recent ADM proposal.

Under "about us" their website states: "HBA participates in a spray liaison scheme helping to raise awareness of the importance of following pollinator friendly spraying codes of practice in agriculture."

Must have Hampshire beekeepers on here?

I Googled and came up with a couple of "paper" schemes.... I think I may repost this Question on the main forum to see if anyone can come point towards a scheme that is up and running. I can forsee working from the BBKA's own recommendations on Spray liason and creating a Scheme.....

I have already posted link on other thread to Norfolk BKA....they actualy have a part on their web page

Enfield BKA also have a spray liason offcer as part of the Fed of Middlesex BKAs spray liason scheme but it is mainly urban

1) he keeps abrest of new chemicals coming on to the market and talks to NFU and advises members what chemicals are likely to be sprayerd and timings....end of his role, always moans not enough help from the BBKA on likley chemical on types of crops

2) Enfield Members have to liase with their own local farmers and ask "are your sprayig XYZ with ABC" recent reponses are now normally, we dont spray but buy dressed seeds and !!!!!! we didn't think need to report them to you as treated by seed company,

i never get notified of broasd leaf weedkiller spraying on the horse pasture....are you spraying broad leaf weedkiller ..."its not a pesticide, how can it harm bees" why do you need to know....driving off in thier 4x4 BMW or Volvo towing the horse box

Last edited:
I Googled and came up with a couple of "paper" schemes.... I think I may repost this Question on the main forum to see if anyone can come point towards a scheme that is up and running. I can forsee working from the BBKA's own recommendations on Spray liason and creating a Scheme.....

Nothing wrong with that. You could contact Hampshire from their website??

Back