Mistake made running virgins into mating hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebhoy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Had several virgin queens and made up some mating hives for them.....first two run in and no probs, everything looked ok and bees accepted them (or appear to have).
Went to run 3rd one in (the biggest and best of the three) and, as bees were trying to get out I thought upon a magnificent stupid idea....put a tiny teeny bit of apiguard at entrance point to keep them back.....it worked. Then tried to run her in, ok, first couple of bees no probs then suddenly another one attacked her, attacker came off worse.....strangely, I thought it was dead as it gave a good impression and put it to the side.( say strangely as 10 mins later it was flying about) Entered her again and again she was attacked and that bee was killed. I thought I would pull her out and try elsewhere but before I could get her she just run down between the frames so am sure they will have killed her now....and so avoidable.

Well stupid is as stupid does....and another lesson learned.....don't do anything to agitate the bees when you need them to be as subdued as possible :(

Dont beat yourself up. Thanks for sharing your experience. Look on the bright side you have 2 queens that will hopefully do the biz.

I would bet she's okay, they need her or they are bxxxxd and realise it! Don't think I will try the apiguard trick with mine though :)
S

Will know in a few weeks.....
Was just laziness, was in my shed putting them into the homemade mating hives and as bees were trying to get out, had no protection on, and decided rather than go to car for a water spray to give them a little soak, I would dip the tip of my knife into an old apiguard that was laying on a shelf.....and put it at area I was trying to run in queen through.
Am fairly sure they would have killed her as 3rd one was attacking as she run under top bar into main body of them. Such a shame as have had them since Monday and this was such an active queen, good size and was happy to runaround on my hands.
Had 5 initially and two others were put into mating hives on Monday and are hopefully ok as could heard them piping Monday, Tuesday and yesterday so may end up with 4 if all goes well and weather improves to get them out and mated.

Latest posts

Back