Missing Pins

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
While I was cleaning up and checking through the super frames of the 2 hives
I bought in September, I noticed none of the top bars were pinned to the side bars. I remember when I inspected the Brood in September some of the brood frames seemed loose. I am therefore concerned that the pins may be missing from the brood frames as well. I have ordered a Rampin tool which I hope I can use to push pins into the frames while they are still in the hive.

I doubt if anyone else has had this problem but do you think the Rampin will do the job?

I cannot understand how a beekeeper can leave out such important pins when the top bar gets so levering about to remove the frames. I am sure the propolis will not hold the frames together when I want to inspect in the spring.

The nails should go into the topbar horizontally - invisible from the top.
On hoffmans, one at each side should go in through the side of the hoffman 'wedge' so it goes in at about 45° to the axis of the tobbar.
Its at the bottom of frames that one most often finds 'wrong' nailing.
11 nails per frame, every frame. 4 into the topbar, 4 attaching the bottom bars to the sidebars, and three to hold the 'wedge' against the foundation.

In spring, many/most frames should be pretty empty and no bother to remove for renailing (if actually needed). Leave well alone until then!

I believe they have been deliberately missed as the bottom bars are nailed correctly. Nothing has been simple this time round. I am hoping with the Rampin I should be able to push pins into the sides by removing one frame, possibly 2 for room to use the tool. This should not disturb the bees too much. I shall not do this until the spring inspections.

I would think you would struggle with the rampin as it needs a solid flat board to lay the frames on so as to push the gimp pins home, even then you sometimes need a small hammer to finish the job off.

I believe they have been deliberately missed as the bottom bars are nailed correctly. Nothing has been simple this time round. I am hoping with the Rampin I should be able to push pins into the sides by removing one frame, possibly 2 for room to use the tool. This should not disturb the bees too much. I shall not do this until the spring inspections.
If you buy ready made frames from certain suppliers they only put nails in one side on the top bar

The nails should go into the topbar horizontally - invisible from the top.
On hoffmans, one at each side should go in through the side of the hoffman 'wedge' so it goes in at about 45° to the axis of the tobbar.
Its at the bottom of frames that one most often finds 'wrong' nailing.
11 nails per frame, every frame. 4 into the topbar, 4 attaching the bottom bars to the sidebars, and three to hold the 'wedge' against the foundation.

In spring, many/most frames should be pretty empty and no bother to remove for renailing (if actually needed). Leave well alone until then!

Do you really need 4 in each top bar? I only use 2, both in the square side on hoffman frames, i couldnt pull them apart so the weight of a full frame wont, +one in each side is more likely to split the sides surely?

Why risk wrecking a comb for the sake of two pins....?

I tried a rampin and have gone back to a "toffee"/pin hammer. It's lovely to tap away in the shed on a winter's day, and think it would be straightforward to add two pins to frames, even with drawn comb.

in your disease inspection you should shake the bees off the brood to inspect the eggs,pupa and larvae , so do it then with a pin hammer

in your disease inspection you should shake the bees off the brood to inspect the eggs,pupa and larvae , so do it then with a pin hammer

Would you really use a pin hammer on frames with young brood? Surely they would end up all over the floor Lol

I am not happy with using a hammer on combs with brood in. As Jonny says the young uncapped brood may fall out. When the Rampin arrives I will try it out in an empty brood box. I think I should be able to get enough pressure to get the pins in. I have not used a Rampin for at least 50 years, and cannot remember how effective it was.

At least I can do the super frames without any problems!!!

:thanks:

Although I use a nail gun for frame assembly (speed / quantity) I still use a rampin tool for the top wedge. So long as the wood is soft enough you should get the pins in ok.

Thanks Yorkshirebees will give it a go after I have had a dummy run on the super frames as a trial.

Latest posts

Back