Mini mating nuc tips

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadnlad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
A few and some more
I've aquired a few Kieler mini mating nucs to have a go at raising some of my own queens this year. Cleaned, painted, starter strips waxed in and polythene sheet pinned on as a cover board

My intention is to insert queen cells this weekend

How long before putting the QC's in there do I need to add the cups of bees ?
Does the comb need to be drawn before adding the QC ?
Is the best method to insert the QC through a slit cut in the plastic sheet and fix between the bars in the cutout, or carefully press it oto a starter strip ?

All tips appreciated

All tips appreciated

The nurse bees are added when you set up the mini-nuc.
The cell should be close to emergence.
Keep them confined for 3 days in your garage, spraying a little water in the vent holes every day so they can dissolve the fondant and draw comb (foundation is ok but some comb is better so they have less work to do).
The queen will emerge and they will accept her as their own.
After 3-4 days, take them to the mating site and open the entrance in the evening (or on a cold/wet day) so they don't rush out and fly as soon as they are liberated.

If the queen cell is in a Nicot holder, it will fit between the frames. If it is a cut cell, make sure you don't damage the cell when you push it into the comb (i.e. cut enough of a "heel" so you can handle it).

If your putting a cell in then put it next to the feeder as you'll find the bees clustering around that part as its the warmest, a small amount of vaseline on the sidewalls should hopefully stop them sticking the comb to the walls. I used full length V shaped strips of foundation and the comb is drawn perfectly.

The nurse bees are added when you set up the mini-nuc.
The cell should be close to emergence.
Keep them confined for 3 days in your garage, spraying a little water in the vent holes every day so they can dissolve the fondant and draw comb (foundation is ok but some comb is better so they have less work to do).
The queen will emerge and they will accept her as their own.
After 3-4 days, take them to the mating site and open the entrance in the evening (or on a cold/wet day) so they don't rush out and fly as soon as they are liberated.

If the queen cell is in a Nicot holder, it will fit between the frames. If it is a cut cell, make sure you don't damage the cell when you push it into the comb (i.e. cut enough of a "heel" so you can handle it).

We fill the feed holder with a lump of fondant a big handful of wood chips ( the ones sold for chip burners) and fill up with 1:1 sugar syrup and keep topping up. Mr. Hoskins uses a couple of cocktail sticks to frame the foundation strip... seems to work.
We do not introduce the queens ( hatched in incubator) until Keilers are on site after 3 to four days in the cool and dark.. then queens are popped in, inside q roller cage with a spray of Rosemary water and with the lids removed.
Inspect for eggs in the evening when bees are roosting... or q may be out on a mating flight!!

Good luck... pleased to see you are rearing your own... so much better than importing from Wompopoo land!!

Yeghes da

so much better than importing from Wompopoo land!!

Would that be "Wompopoo" in The Netherlands or Germany? I'll still have 12 NL-Line and 10 Celle-Line queens coming over this year (its customary to test ~ 1/3 on behalf of other breeders). I also rear daughters from the best of my stock though. Some are naturally mated (for drone/honey production) and some are inseminated (for further testing).

Last edited:
My top tip with kielers is to smudge some car body filler round the entrance when the bees start eating the poly.

I have done it once. They swarmed as soon as she laid.

I paint with Hammerite. The solvent in the paint dissolves a little poly and results in a very durable surface.

If the Q cells will be cut from the top box of a Demaree, is it best to press the heel into the strip ?

The blurb on ---------------- site seems to suggest adding the QC through a slit in the plastic sheet - I'm guessing that means the cell hanging between the frames with the heel on the tops of the bars ?

If the Q cells will be cut from the top box of a Demaree, is it best to press the heel into the strip ?

The blurb on ---------------- site seems to suggest adding the QC through a slit in the plastic sheet - I'm guessing that means the cell hanging between the frames with the heel on the tops of the bars ?

When cell punching I place cells on a small square of ply wood attached with wax. This sits between the hole on the frames as an interference fit..

We fill the feed holder with a lump of fondant a big handful of wood chips ( the ones sold for chip burners) and fill up with 1:1 sugar syrup and keep topping up. Mr. Hoskins uses a couple of cocktail sticks to frame the foundation strip... seems to work.
We do not introduce the queens ( hatched in incubator) until Keilers are on site after 3 to four days in the cool and dark.. then queens are popped in, inside q roller cage with a spray of Rosemary water and with the lids removed.

I'm about to have a second attempt at setting up a mating nuc. The first attempt was a disaster - I got the bees in the Keiler OK, but there were hundreds of them in the feeder when I opened up to add the feed. Then when I attempted to add the virgin Q (emerged in incubator) following what Richard Noel does in one of his videos, she flew away! Fortunately, five mins later she came back and I spotted her on the top of a frame in the still open mini-nuc.

I put the bees in a Keiler for the second attempt yesterday. This time I kept the box upside down (having added the bees through the base) until I added the feed - and there were only ~ 3 bees in the feeder and they shifted out of the way when I added the sugar. They've been confined and in my garage over night, so one day now.

Is it necessary to wait for three days before adding the queen (also emerged in incubator)? Will they build comb in that time? Or is the confinement for some other reason?

When adding the queen in the roller cage per Ican/Cheers method should I hang it vertically? Horizontally? Should I remove a frame to make room for it (can't see how to fit it in otherwise)?

Any tips on how to get these going much appreciated.

Is it necessary to wait for three days before adding the queen (also emerged in incubator)? Will they build comb in that time? Or is the confinement for some other reason?

When adding the queen in the roller cage per Ican/Cheers method should I hang it vertically? Horizontally? Should I remove a frame to make room for it (can't see how to fit it in otherwise)?

Any tips on how to get these going much appreciated.

No.
The idea is that you introduce the queen when you make up the mating nuc. You keep them closed for 3 days so the workers accept that virgin as their queen and they become a "family". You should spray a little water in from time to time so they can dissolve the fondant and start to draw out comb.
Then, you can put the nucs out to mate - preferably in the evening or on a cloudy/rainy day. That is so they won't all pour out at once. You need them to just come out, have a look around then go back in.

OK - so should I add the virgin now then confine them for a couple more days before moving them outside and opening the entrance?

I still haven't figured out how to get the roller cage with queen into the Keiller.

I'm on Islay.
I suggest buying Mating in Miniature by B. Minus.

Possibly a pun on B+...or Polys on the Lagavulin and meant Mobius... :)

Ha ha - I realised there was a typo - just can't find the book for sale anywhere.

Latest posts

Back