Mini mating nuc next step

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeker

Leighton Shropshire
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
8 must stop now.....
A while back I had a spare Queen cell from a swarm preventing split, two cells on one frame.

Rather than waste it. I cut it out, and put it in a mini mating apidea thingy, together with a couple of cups of bees, and some fondant They drew out around the cell, but not a lot more. Left them to it, just checking through the see through cover really.

Yesterday I could see a small patch of sealed brood ♥️. They've not drawn anymore comb though, and there's not as many bees obviously as I started with.

Bit lost as to what can I do now at this time of year?
Move into a very dummied down NUC , will they have time to do enough before winter
Leave them where they are for now. And add to a nuc if she looks better than others in the near future, knowing they definitely won't survive as is without help.
And a real outsider that's just occured to me, put the queen and a couple attendants in a cage, transport to my other apiary, and Requeen my angry hive, which hopefully will be queenless later today.
Or am I just over hopeful 🙄

Thanks Mark

Thank you. Should have had the courage of my conviction, but don't have the confidence yet. Hadn't got a reply before I went out, so I've dispatched the angry hive queen, and United them.
So I'm back to thinking on the queen in the making nuc now. Think I'll dummy down a nuc, donate some brood and see how it goes.

Thank you. Should have had the courage of my conviction, but don't have the confidence yet. Hadn't got a reply before I went out, so I've dispatched the angry hive queen, and United them.
So I'm back to thinking on the queen in the making nuc now. Think I'll dummy down a nuc, donate some brood and see how it goes.
Don't forget to add the bees as well as the brood if her colony is small, they will need nurse bees to look after that extra brood.

Don't forget to add the bees as well as the brood if her colony is small, they will need nurse bees to look after that extra brood.
Steve. Forgive my stupidity. Just been from the hive donating the brood? Or if brood from a couple of hives, can it be from either or just one. The pheromone/ individual hive scent is confusing me, thought they would all scrap.

Mark

Give the comb a slight shake and dislodge any older bees, young nurse bees hold on tighter, they should be ok.
If you take brood from multiple hives, shake all the bees off the combs into an empty box, the older bees will take to the wing, then tip them in the nuc and they will reoccupy the combs. This method is often used to stock apideas.
Making nucs from three donor colonies prevents fighting while not taking too many resources from a particular colony.

Latest posts

Back