Mini BiVo mating nucs (aka the cheapest mating nucs from Th**nes)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barratt_sab

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Does anyone use these mating nucs?

Dave Cushman's website suggests painting wax on the frames (which was going to do) - it also suggests geting the tiny frames draw in another colony before stocking the nucs (which I hadn't thought of).

Do you get the frames drawn in another hive before using these nucs?

Would putting in some clean brace comb from a healthy hive be an alternative?

Thanks for any advice.

i ran two of them last year and they did well. the painting wax is the way i went . they built a hell of a lot of brace comb in the feeder and it got messy and i seem to rember wishing for a crownboard but a plastic bag does well.

Do they have bars for the comb to be attached to?

PH

In that case use hot wax to stick a little starter strip of foundation to the bar and they will build it out from that no bother.

A search on T says that variety of mini is no longer there.

PH

Last edited:
if theyre the cheapest from Th**nes, then iv got one and yes they have wooden bars.

I think we must be looking at different boxes. I won't post a link to a supplier site, but they are still there this morning "micro mating hive" at £11.12.

They've got plastic frames with an embossed starter strip in plastic. Maybe you spent the extra £3 and got a warnholz (which I am now wondering if I should have!)

i ran two of them last year and they did well. the painting wax is the way i went . they built a hell of a lot of brace comb in the feeder and it got messy and i seem to rember wishing for a crownboard but a plastic bag does well.

This is our first attempt at raising queens, so it's good to hear that someone has had some success with this kit (although I guess that means that failure is just down to me then... same as ever). I will go with painting the starter strips.

The crown board plastic bag is a useful tip - thanks.

Here's a photo of the top of the frame - there are two frames, each about 2.5 inches square, with a plastic starter strip about 0.5 inches deep.

Thanks for your replies - I will report back once they have had some use (if any of my grafts have been accepted).

can the drawn wax be re-used or do you have to start again presumably with a new cupful of bees each time? That is if you only do queen rearing sporadically?

It should be scrapped and get each new lot to draw it again as it is part of the "making" a colony process. Usually the bees are from different sources.

PH

It should be scrapped and get each new lot to draw it again as it is part of the "making" a colony process. Usually the bees are from different sources.

PH

I leave them one or two drawn and the same bees do a couple of batches (apideas) - test brood left to hatch; others round here who have original apideas leave the old and have no obvious issues.

I know someone who keeps them over several years. Stores in freezer.

i use the old comb from them as my bait hive bait. i just crush the comb through the entrance.
from all i have read the comb building while confined is an important part of the colony becoming a single unit. as ph has already said.

I was taught buy the guy who both began their usage in the UK and wrote the first book on them that an important part of combining the bees and as part of their morale situation was that they build comb.

No doubt people do other things and no doubt they either work for them or they pretend that they do.

When starting though is it not sensible to begin with the tried and tested methods before branching out and experimenting?

What has to be kept in mind is that these little units are under a lot of stress and will, WILL abscond at the drop of a hat. I prefer to minimise the risk of that myself.

PH

Thank you all - as we're pretty new at this we're going to go with trad - already we've noticed how stressed the bees are by the amount of bee poo when we last tried it! certainly wouldn't want them to abscond :eek:

Latest posts

Back