Microscope gum media

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Hi , I've bought a microscope for Christmas and now I'm wanting to buy a few extra slides and gum media, can anyone suggest a good shop via the tinterweb..

Thanks
Mark.

Ps.. We have 5 small jars of dry pollen, collected at different times through out last year and we want to look at them but I don't have any gum media.
Edit: is there any other product we can use to observe the pollen?
We have some slides.

Brunel microscopes have a v good range. You need glycerine jelly stained with fuchsin for making pollen slides. See link below for
http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/A good little book to have is Practical Microscopy for Beekeepers by Bob Maurer (of National Honey Show fame).
Elaine
P.s. the other things you’ll need to order as well as the book to make pollen slides as well as the slides:
-isopropanol (95% for degreasing and cleaning the pollen),
-watch glass (for swirling the pollen in the alcohol),
-plastic pipettes (for dropping the alcohol onto the watch glass),
-Glass rod (for dropping the pollen / alcohol mixture into the slide and dropping the stain onto it too),
-a slide warming plate or can improvise on a warm surface eg Aga or similar.
- coverslips to put in top of the stained pollen
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Brunel microscopes have a v good range. You need glycerine jelly stained with fuchsin for making pollen slides. See link below for
http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/A good little book to have is Practical Microscopy for Beekeepers by Bob Maurer (of National Honey Show fame).
Elaine
Thanks for the link.. I'm a bit all out on books.. If I said to SWMBO I was going to buy more books or anything bee related I think I would be sleeping in the bee shed..

Thanks for the link.. I'm a bit all out on books.. If I said to SWMBO I was going to buy more books or anything bee related I think I would be sleeping in the bee shed..
Here’s some notes on how to make pollen slides. Wouldn’t want you to have to sleep with the bees :)

Attachments

• 384F15DC-54C1-4BCB-BA12-5D60F253B392.jpeg
    384F15DC-54C1-4BCB-BA12-5D60F253B392.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
If she's anything like 'er indoors and reads that you will be sleeping with the fishes - never mind the bees !
I don't have any fish Philip..;) local small lakes are frozen.. But yeah I better delete that post because she would have my guts for garters.

Seems like yesterday to me ... still worth watching the trilogy ...
I don't think I've watched them all the maffia don't, didn't take no prisoners.
Film wise I'm a fantasy fan, films like the hobbit that sort of film.. Back a few years ago I had an operation on both my tendents in my left foot the tendent on the underside of my foot was completely severed and the other was torn very badly, i spent 4 months in a wheelchair and 2 years of work..
Bought sky and Netflix and watched film after film after film... I still have problems now even after 8 years..
All from jumping out of a low bed trailer collecting stone for a dry stone wall.

Time flies doesn't it all the more reason to enjoy every happy memory with the children and stop sometimes to breath and relish life and all its goodness. Our youngest is 10 months now.. He's bum shuffling and walking around things holding on.. Little darling he is.

Latest posts

Back