Micrographs of nosema spores apis or ceranae?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbh4

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
An experienced beekeeper I know showed me how to test for nosema on Friday. He brought along some samples of his own bees. These are some of the results. They do not really do justice to the microscope - they were take down the eyepiece with my mobile phone!

Are they nosema apis or nosema ceranae or a mixture of the two. Some certainly look more like basmati rice than pudding rice to my inexperienced eye.

Technical details: the microscope was a Nikon E200 with phase contrast. The images were taken at a magnification of 1000 with oil. Don't expect this image quality with the Lidl microscope.

Paul

Looks like pudding (N. apis) rice to me. I suspect the little skinny ones are end-on.

Third photo, the bright grains near the centre have pointed ends: saw similar in the other pictures as well. These to my mind are Nosema ceranea.
However others are clearly built like Nosema apis. Could it be a combined infestation?
Ruary

Question:
Why are some spores light in colour and others are dark? Why are some spores small while others are larger? Is there a difference in size and formation of the spore with N. Apis and N. cerana?:rolleyes:

Mo

Are they nosema apis or nosema ceranae or a mixture of the two.

Paul - It's very difficult; as others have said, different orientation changes the apparent shape.

I can see some apis-like, some ceranae-like, and many middling. But overwhelmingly, they have nosema. Will knowing which flavour of nosema you have alter how you treat? :)

Latest posts

Back