Mentor wanted pontypool area

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultreen1

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
If anyone lives close to this area and can offer advice, experience and time it would be appreciated!
Thanks
Darren

Hi Darren,

Have you made contact with your local association? Many have beginners' group practical sessions, apiary visits and talks.

There are huge numbers of beginners and improvers and most experienced (and half-experienced) beekeepers have several mentees/people on the phone already...and only one pair of hands :willy_nilly:.

So if you don't find someone by this route it's not that we don't care, it's just a crazy season with lots of beginners :).

Hi Darren,

I'm just south of you but as this is only my second season I'm just a few (blundering ) steps in front of you?

Checked the membership list and there are 2 other beeks on your street, 1 old hand and 1 newbee. I can pass your info on to them either as mentor or just buddy up?

As Susbees says the best way to get a mentor is through the association and its wealth of combined knowledge, your membership offers so much more.

Not much happening regards practicals at the moment as we are still preparing the new apiary now the legals have had their money. Work party volunteers welcome?

We ran a Nosema workshop on the 26th April did you manage to get their? Unfortunately I didn't make it having suffered a sting to the left eyebrow on the 24th resulting in a melon face, didn't want to scare the kids!

We are running a Disease Recognition Workshop 17th June @ £1 covers tea/coffee etc, full details on website book through Secretary.

Later in the year we have Ron Hoskins and Adam Hart giving lectures these should be well attended giving you chance to meet fellow beekeepers!

What I'm trying to say is, if a bit long winded, being active in the association has its rewards.

Russ

Thanks for both your replies.
I am a member of the local gbka!
I did attend the nosema workshop and got the all clear, phew!
I've got my number for the disease Workshop and will be present!
I did meet a lovely lady at the nosema session and she gave me her number, as odd as it sounds it's seems easier to ask for help here. Idealy i'd get a mentor from gbka but after only being to one meeting and have only one contact I don't feel I could ask for mentorship.
Russel id be happy for you to pass on my info! Especially if they're on my street!

We have some very nice and the odd gruffellow, knowledgeable members that are willing to pass on that knowledge.
Good to see your bees got the all clear and you're taking part.
We are meeting next Saturday morning - another work party - come along and meet some of those people.

Forgot to say that we are trying to implement a buddy/mentor scheme where you go to help a more experienced beek. Info will be passed on to the two mentioned and I'll recheck for anyone else nearby.

Russ

Went out to collect a swarm with my new mentor and then we inspected my hives, she told me to go double brood on one!
Thanks Russell!

Latest posts

Back