Mating nucs?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you mean the wooden top bar hives then the price is similar to an Apidea and about twice what a Kieler costs. Both these have the advantage of being poly. They are most like the Kieler but have three/five bars depending whether the feeder is in place (as opposed to the Kieler 4/6). However the external dimensions look large so I wonder how many bees you need to stock them?

If not the wooden ones then ignore all the comments above :rolleyes:

It's called copy and paste... highlight it and press the CTRL key, hoold it and then press the "C" key, to paste it do the same but instead of "c" use "v"

I would not buy them no, too small. Small is good to a point and below that point it makes a trickish situation very tricky so not for I sir.

PH

They are Swi-bines,much the same size as the Apidea, they work well,but i do find them to be too small really.

Kielers and my own manufactured boxes, a few apidea but you really need small hands

Always used the Kielers and they are just that bit bigger though being unable to find a queen in a half sized shoe box is embarrassing at times...LOL

PH

No ... it's nothing personal, they do that for me as well. I don't have QE glued between mine and the main compartment - perhaps that might discourage them?

No ... it's nothing personal, they do that for me as well. I don't have QE glued between mine and the main compartment - perhaps that might discourage them?

'Fraid not - I'm about to harvest a lovely bit of cut comb and the Qx is in place:)

i have keilers, apideas and swi-bines. all fine but keilers are that bit bigger.

problem i've had this year is wax moth getting into a couple of forgotten failed mating nucs - look like they've been shot with a shotgun.

There seems to be a preference emerging for the Kiellers ...

I had the impression that their plastic was softer than the Apidea, and wondered whether anyone had any problems with damage - either from confined bees or externally from wasps or slugs. The home-made ones (from expanded polystyrene packing cartons) I tried this summer simply weren't resilient enough, in either direction! :eek: And consequently, I was looking to buy some 'proper ones' for next year ...

Dr S - was the 'shotgun damage' to the comb or the plastic structure? I know Greater Wax Moth damages frames and wooden hives, but hadn't heard of them tunnelling into poly.

Last edited:
There's sometimes a bit of chewing around the entrance, but nothing structural or that could not be patched with a little ingenuity. I've not used Apideas for comparison. The problem many have is the bees connecting the comb to the side walls. It has happened a bit to me, but nothing too significant. I prime mine with 300ml of bees and reuse them during the season, finally overwintering them as double deckers. It should be possible to get three queens mated per Kieler over the course of a normal (ha!) summer.

Whatever type of mini nuc used they all suffered terribly from the attritional weather this "summer" and hardly any gave more than a couple of queens for me and many failed completely.
Truly a season to shake the faith !

Latest posts

Back