Mating nucs for beginners?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another option is to make some nuc boxes to take standard frames and a further set of boxes the same length which will take the mini plus frames. The key is that your standard frame will govern the length of the box and the mini-plus will govern the width.

With these boxes you can get a box of mini frames drawn out, easily, on top of a 'standard' nuc; of course, the mp frames are running 'warm way' on top of the standard frames set up 'cold way' but it's not an issue for these units. It's also possible to use the same arrangement to get reserve store combs filled ready for use if the mini-plus' start to get light for some reason rather than feeding them direct. Just another option which does work well but is no better than the interlocking frame method.

I hadn't thought of this, thanks Rolande, another winter carpentry project beckons. I've already made a few nucs to take 4 mini plus frames cold way with a cut down milk carton at the end as a feeder, a la hivemakers design for half size national super frames.

I put in the spring in strong colonies: 2 half frames attached together ( mine hives are langs). One of these goes in brood box, other one goes up in super. Prefferable with foundation to get built frames. I forget them untill I need them - when forming mnucs. This way I get 2 HF full of stores and 2 HF full with brood. Strong colonies won't miss those.
When froming mnucs I take these mentioned above with bees present on these frames ( without queen of course) and add one HF of foundation ( my mnucs are 5hframe as you saw). I place in this mnuc qcell, so I always start mnuc with qcell. Not rarely If I have opportunity of some nice swarm cell I place it in mnuc and form mnuc. This way I keep it running untill I produce qcell from planned qrearing. Then I just remove the swarm queen and as I am lazy immediatelly place qcell in mnuc.
Many think I am crazy since I remove a lot of queens during season ( in accordance with my merrits). But each year is visible progress in quality of queen stock in my short beekeeping.
Stacking of two mnuc boxes each on another - that way you can expand space easily. Friend of mine which is increasing use of such mnucs overwinter them stacked 2-3 boxes, but I think he said enough 2 ( right measure). Additionally to remove death space between boxes you can place one standard frame full with stores rotated for 90 degrees ( vertically) to connect boxes. As I said options are endless.
I still don't overwinter them ( time and money issue). But if someday I get relief from surviving month from month and could pay more atention to beekeeping I would like to have more these than standard hives.. I enjoy working with them, and this is for me as for kids lollypop. And results are such rewarding.
Forgot - for feeder I just make feeder rim and place some shallow plate for syrup or piece of fondant/pattie direct on top bars.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back