Marking and Clipping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you generally mark or clip your queens

• Neither mark nor clip

Votes: 48 23.5%
  • Mark, dont clip

Votes: 109 53.4%
  • Clip, don't mark

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Both mark and clip

Votes: 42 20.6%

• Total voters
I mark and clip. Marking done in accordance with national colours.

Only just a newbie, not brave enough to try and mark our new queen incase I damage her

I mark and clip, but I am not so bothered about marking as about clipping, as now I can find queens.

The other thing is that in teaching the students to find queens, I've realised that they don't look for the queens, they look for the marks, so I'm beginning to think it might be better not to mark in order to help people learn.

I mark and clip, but I am not so bothered about marking as about clipping, as now I can find queens.

The other thing is that in teaching the students to find queens, I've realised that they don't look for the queens, they look for the marks, so I'm beginning to think it might be better not to mark in order to help people learn.

That is the conclusion that I came too. Finding queens becomes easier the more that you do it. I am also not too bother if I dont find a queen as long as I see eggs.

I practised a lot clipping drones first and they are surprisingly easy to handle once I had relaxed.

Perhaps it might be interesting to suitably mark a dozen or so drones and then dump them on a roof somewhere and note where they turn up over the next few inspections.

Nothing serious, but just something of a diversion.

I had real trouble finding the queen last night whilst doing an AS. The light was starting to go and I wished more than anything that she was marked. Maybe now is the time for me to start marking!

I mark but dont clip but dont follow the colour code, just use green one year and red the next as there the colours that stand out the best for me.

I mark and clip but I don't follow the colour code good old tipex white

Clip all queens in production colonys,which also acts as the marking.

Clip for a permanent identification, and mark with the brightest discs so the queen is spotted as quickly as possible.

I'm at home as are my hives. So I don't clip or mark as I can looks for swarming signs well in advance.

If I had an out apiary that I couldn't visit that often, then I'd certainly clip.

Tried a press in cage to mark they jumped all over it, couldn't see queen did her freehand!

mons ab - a was given a top tip - use the seriously bright pink from the same range as our usual ones - stands out wonderfully.

use for queens of unknown age (or can use for all queens - at least neighbouring beeks know which is your swarm!!!!)

Latest posts

Back