Mans best friend ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RIP, Missy,
She suffered a downturn through the night and was clearly suffering this morning.
We made the decision and saved her any more pain.
I feel totally miserable.

Oh such sad news ... even when you know that it's inevitable it's still something you are never prepared for... all you can do is think and talk of the good times ... she will be at your heels for some time to come I'm afraid, their presence lingers ....

Thanks all for your kind thoughts👍
We still have Boris, who we got to run with Missy when our Schnauzer died and Missy was grieving.
The vet allowed us to bring Boris in to see Missy dead and he’s coping well.
It was odd - he was whining and yowling outside the door, but stopped as soon as the deed was done, gave her a cursory check over and that was that.
Intriguing.

Thanks all for your kind thoughts👍
We still have Boris, who we got to run with Missy when our Schnauzer died and Missy was grieving.
The vet allowed us to bring Boris in to see Missy dead and he’s coping well.
It was odd - he was whining and yowling outside the door, but stopped as soon as the deed was done, gave her a cursory check over and that was that.
Intriguing.
It never seems to get easier, and I feel for you. Over the years we have often brought our surviving dog(s) to see our dead companion, they all do much the same thing, a quick 'check over' and finish. I think they 'understand'. Sometimes we have observed what I can only describe as a grieving process in them, and then we move on together.

Oh such sad news ... even when you know that it's inevitable it's still something you are never prepared for... all you can do is think and talk of the good times ... she will be at your heels for some time to come I'm afraid, their presence lingers ....
When our dog Roxy died, if someone called at the house we'd hear her jump off a bed upstairs. She was still hanging about for at least a year! 🥰

" in the course of evolution, a dog has specially developed facial muscles to be much more attractive to humans"

Well I'll up the ante on that- I'll swear blind our collie was telepathic.

She would often react to our thoughts before our actions e.g.
"""might take her for a play in the field""" - -she'd jump up and whine at the door.
"""got to get petrol when I pick the lad up from school"""- she'd pick up one of his trainers and hide it in her toy box(she also knew names of toys almost as well as that collie on the tv)
She was from working farm dog parents and sharp as a pin.
She lived to only ten.
Losing a dog is like losing a child

Well I'll up the ante on that- I'll swear blind our collie was telepathic.
mine can tell the time, Postman usually calls at 10, and each morning, regardless of what she's doing she's by the door at 1000 waiting for him, and if he doesn't turn up at that time she's gutted
Same with our Saturday curry delivery, we order it for 1830, at 1825 she starts getting wound up ready for the knock

They are amazing for sure

Brain going at 100mph.

Even when they're asleep you can clearly see they are dreaming.

Ours could tell who was coming down the lane by the sound of the engine/driving style- run to the door of if she knew,wouldn't move if she didn't recognise it.

Only a dog could go to a party,ignore everyone,steal the food and fall asleep- and still be the most popular in the room
And wouldn't even be thrown out if he crapped behind the sofa

It never seems to get easier, and I feel for you. Over the years we have often brought our surviving dog(s) to see our dead companion, they all do much the same thing, a quick 'check over' and finish. I think they 'understand'. Sometimes we have observed what I can only describe as a grieving process in them, and then we move on together.
Well, since Missy died - end of Feb, Boris has continued to grieve. He’s been off his food, noticeably depressed at times, coming “alive” at walk times. This is why we made the decision to get another pup. Gradually, as the pup is getting settled in, they are starting to play a little more each day and we see a bit more of the old Boris come through. It was a big decision and at our ages, maybe not the right one, but time will tell.

Well, since Missy died - end of Feb, Boris has continued to grieve. He’s been off his food, noticeably depressed at times, coming “alive” at walk times. This is why we made the decision to get another pup. Gradually, as the pup is getting settled in, they are starting to play a little more each day and we see a bit more of the old Boris come through. It was a big decision and at our ages, maybe not the tright one, but time will tell.
Never a wrong decision
There's more than anecdotal evidence that they improve your overall long term health.

I'm guessing from this thread that if beekeeping were banned we'd all get by just fine by increases of dogs.

Imagine all the new seething disagreements we could do.

Well, since Missy died - end of Feb, Boris has continued to grieve. He’s been off his food, noticeably depressed at times, coming “alive” at walk times. This is why we made the decision to get another pup. Gradually, as the pup is getting settled in, they are starting to play a little more each day and we see a bit more of the old Boris come through. It was a big decision and at our ages, maybe not the right one, but time will tell.
Dogs speak to those who know how to listen, I am sure its the right thing. “So love me, love my dog, we've lived the road too long..............”

Latest posts

Back