Managing mild weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjt42bike

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
The bees are still active in this crazy mild weather and ,hefting the hive, I can tell there are plenty of stores. I took a peek and there are still masses of bees. I gave them an extra super for some space. Is it ok to leave this on now for the winter or should I be expecting them to pack together in the BB. I currently have a QE between the BB and the super I have added.
I want to avoid them having too much space to keep warm if/when the weather turns cold and I expect I should leave them to their own devices as I would normally be doing at this time of year.
Should I put the spare space under the BB? I am on 14x12 BB frames.
Any suggestions?

QE should be off by now. Best if any super is on the OMF and under any other boxes (nadired to the nitpickers). The bees will cuddle up sufficiently adjacent to stores so that it can readily be got at. However much extra space you provide the bees will cluster tight, swopping places with those in the middle until spring when they need to defecate, providing they have enough stores to keep them going of course. I don't insulate and I leave the holes in the CB open in winter and haven't noticed my bees suffer. But most on this forum seem to go overboard. Treat with oxalic around New Year and give them some fondant if you think they need a treat.

Last edited:
… hefting the hive, I can tell there are plenty of stores. I took a peek and there are still masses of bees. I gave them an extra super for some space. Is it ok to leave this on now for the winter or should I be expecting them to pack together in the BB. I currently have a QE between the BB and the super I have added.
I want to avoid them having too much space to keep warm if/when the weather turns cold and I expect I should leave them to their own devices as I would normally be doing at this time of year.
Should I put the spare space under the BB? I am on 14x12 BB frames.
Any suggestions?

Empty super above the brood and above QX is a mistake.
1/ Heat rises.
2/ QX would give the bees the choice of the cluster going up there (to food) or staying with Q. If they leave Q, she chills and dies.

Get a friend (or better two) to help you put the extra box underneath.
No QX.
If you can lift a 14x12 on your own, gently, then either it isn't full or you are a weightlifter!

If your weather really is mild, with the bees flying strongly, and there is any doubt as to whether the box really is full, I'd be having a look at an outer frame in the brood box. (Others wouldn't dream of it - this isn't mainstream failsafe advice.) But if the outside frame isn't really well filled, the box ain't full. Admittedly a couple of weeks ago, (and like you, down South), I was boldly moving full frames to the outside (the back in my warm way setup) and part-filled frames nearer the centre, where they can be worked on more easily. Making sure that the comb was being used to best effect.

And again I'd reiterate the value of a (no-hole) see-through coverboard - it allows you to "take a peek" without disturbing the bees, let alone disturbing their propolis sealing of the coverboard.

Last edited:
Really useful info. Thanks so much. Will set about sorting this out ASAP!

Latest posts

Back