Making own BB need shorter lugs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Finished building my first national brood box with 18mm plywood, a lot of mistakes and hours of work but nonetheless enjoyable in contrast to my school woodwork classes of 40 years ago.Now trying a second BB and think if it had shorter lugs it would be easier to build. I know harder to hold but would make building much easier. Any views on shorter lugs?

Finished building my first national brood box with 18mm plywood, a lot of mistakes and hours of work but nonetheless enjoyable in contrast to my school woodwork classes of 40 years ago.Now trying a second BB and think if it had shorter lugs it would be easier to build. I know harder to hold but would make building much easier. Any views on shorter lugs?

Shortening lugs is not a good idea:
  1. you end up with not standard frames, which in the long run could prove an annoyance
  2. I found short lugs difficult to handle - the longer lugs on a National frame give a more secure grip.

The only non- standard adjustment I made was to create top bee space when I made my 14x12 plywood hives three years ago. That and an under-floor entrance.

CVB

Latest posts

Back