Maisie's Poly sale.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see you mention the core as in it being hollow like a cavity wall of a double skinned house, i have several Abelo brood boxes and that is not the case with mine, they are solid and dense all the way through, infact i have one here that needed repairing after it had a piece gouged out of it accidentally, not one bead of polystyrene came out of the hole as it was uniform all the way through.
A good buy imo even more so because they will accommodate all the National equipment i am slowly piling up.
The Abelo roof are excellent also...;)

I've bought a couple of Abelo roofs for wooden hives. Excellent products

I see you mention the core as in it being hollow like a cavity wall of a double skinned house, i have several Abelo brood boxes and that is not the case with mine, they are solid and dense all the way through, infact i have one here that needed repairing after it had a piece gouged out of it accidentally, not one bead of polystyrene came out of the hole as it was uniform all the way through.
A good buy imo even more so because they will accommodate all the National equipment i am slowly piling up.
The Abelo roof are excellent also...;)

Not saying those you have are not, but it does happen.

Abelo...unless they are using other makers as well now, are actually only a UK business dealing in the products of Lyson in Poland, certainly as far as poly hives are concerned.

I have a fair amount of stuff here made by Lyson (not sourced in the UK as its much cheaper to go by other channels), including floors and all our Smith hivetop feeders that can be seen on my twitter feed.

The loose material inside DOES happen. In fact the floor were a particular problem as they have bulky blocks at the corners and its plainly an issue they are aware of, as if you break one you find there have even been offcuts etc stuck in the corners that fall out if the floor is dropped.

The feeders are very prone to porosity and take a good bit of sealing before use.

As always with this stuff, it can be a batch issue rather than a general one.

You can get problems in many ways with many makes. These are real issues but nonetheless they are still a major advance in husbandry on what we had 50 years ago.

Not saying those you have are not, but it does happen.

Abelo...unless they are using other makers as well now, are actually only a UK business dealing in the products of Lyson in Poland, certainly as far as poly hives are concerned.

I have a fair amount of stuff here made by Lyson (not sourced in the UK as its much cheaper to go by other channels), including floors and all our Smith hivetop feeders that can be seen on my twitter feed.

The loose material inside DOES happen. In fact the floor were a particular problem as they have bulky blocks at the corners and its plainly an issue they are aware of, as if you break one you find there have even been offcuts etc stuck in the corners that fall out if the floor is dropped.

The feeders are very prone to porosity and take a good bit of sealing before use.

As always with this stuff, it can be a batch issue rather than a general one.

You can get problems in many ways with many makes. These are real issues but nonetheless they are still a major advance in husbandry on what we had 50 years ago.

Well, that sounds very, very strange to me.

Can you please send a link to the Lyson website with Smith poly equipment??

Well, that sounds very, very strange to me.

Can you please send a link to the Lyson website with Smith poly equipment??

You will not find it. These are special makings. The moulds lie out there is needed again, the only way you could get them is through me, and I stopped selling poly gear a few years ago.

These are the only items we had made there. As far as I am aware they have never made Smith boxes for anyone. The feeder was made to fit our wooden Smiths, the floor as a more to our need for the poly version of the Smith, so could have fitted a National too.

I suspect you need photos to believe me so I will take some on a less snowy day.

Last edited:
You will not find it. These are special makings. The moulds lie out there is needed again, the only way you could get them is through me, and I stopped selling poly gear a few years ago.

These are the only items we had made there. As far as I am aware they have never made Smith boxes for anyone. The feeder was made to fit our wooden Smiths, the floor as a more to our need for the poly version of the Smith, so could have fitted a National too.

I suspect you need photos to believe me so I will take some on a less snowy day.

How long ago was it (your mold made?)

My experience is different from yours. Do you have Abelo National poly hives??

How long ago was it (your mold made?)

My experience is different from yours. Do you have Abelo National poly hives??

Last delivery would be maybe three seasons ago. One whole batch of feeders had to be remade they were so porous. they just suck the paint in compared to most conventionally moulded types, although uneven acceptance of paint due to porosity is not the sole domain of cast style boxes. We get it on the UK made nucs too to a lesser although still significant extent.

Do not have any National hives of any make. Did have some (100s actually) years ago but sold them off due to them being significantly slower to work than simple top bee space hives. Never had any Lyson version nationals.

I am not saying they are a bad hive, but casting is a low tech version of making poly and yes, I understand you like yours.

There are quite a few Lyson items around here that have been brought in as trial items when going into this or that, but mostly we do not choose them for multiple reasons. Most common are that they seem to have listened to too many small customers and there are lots of 'bits' on their nucs, mini pluses etc that take away the simplicity. They have tried to be too many things to too many people. or it seems that way.

Lipped style boxes are also a real no no for us (several makes in that category irrespective of process) as it slows down work.

However this is all way off topic about Maisemores nucs and sale. I don't have any of them but they are a perfectly good unit.

they just suck the paint in compared to most conventionally moulded types, although uneven acceptance of paint due to porosity is not the sole domain of cast style boxes.

Glad I bought the Lyson/Abelo ready painted National feeders..let them do the hard work.
So far all have been totally waterproof.

Glad I bought the Lyson/Abelo ready painted National feeders..let them do the hard work.
So far all have been totally waterproof.

Indeed. If correctly sealed they are fine. All makes need painting to prevent syrup getting in between the beads.

It kinda asks the question why non of the UK poly hive makers are doing ready painted and sealed...
Whilst I'm far far far smaller scale than yourself...it's a PITA painting poly hives ...of course if you have staff to keep busy :)

It kinda asks the question why non of the UK poly hive makers are doing ready painted and sealed...
Whilst I'm far far far smaller scale than yourself...it's a PITA painting poly hives ...of course if you have staff to keep busy :)

Even as a hobbyist its a PITA!!!

Im gonna have a go at spray paint this year through a cheap air sprayer.

Also going to go with external gloss and masonry for the internals of the feeder only

Quite a lot more expensive arent they?

I also really dont like the bold colours of the abelo hives. Hardly incognito.

Quite a lot more expensive arent they?

I also really dont like the bold colours of the abelo hives. Hardly incognito.

Not much more expensive...particularity if you take the cost of paint and your time to paint them....Like Henry Ford said you can have it any color you want as long as it's black. From Abelo you can specify green!

SWMBO likes the yellows and blues in the garden...who am I to disagree.

I suppose if they where green it wouldnt be that bad!

How much are the painted abelo ones? DO they come with the feeder?

Maisies are £25 with the feeder included.

I know. Just wondering how much. I can only see the non painted national nuclei on their website.

If it was £3/4 a nuc difference with a feeder included it would be worthwhile. If they were a tenner more without the feeder I'd probably stick to painting.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Not sure anyone does painted Nuc's.
Yet!
I see what you mean now about talking crossed purposes.

I think Park Beekeeping nucs are prepared but they a fair chunk more expensive. They have a textured exterior as well.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Straight on
25299217_1539343142825200_6378936309513026563_n.jpg

Is there any implication with maisies boxes being BBS and the BS box being TBS?

I would imagine this set up might have double the bees space between the frames and the inevitable brace comb?

Anyone had any experience of this?

Latest posts

Back