Lynx may be released in Thetford Forest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More than just a zoo. Do your research! We have not had lynx in this country for 1,300 years.

Lol i dont have to research or Google, it hasnt happened yet & they may never even get released, dont get on your high horses over nothing. I said i didnt actually agree with it did i not?

We sheep keepers have enough problems with foxes, dogs and rustling to contend with, not with the added problems lynx will cause.

There would most likely be compensation paid for any sheep killed by the lynx, and the numbers of lynx would also need to be controled by culling their numbers.

There is an ongoing conflict in Norway between farmers
wishing to protect livestock and the conservation of native carnivore species like the Eurasian Lynx,Lynx lynx.The estimated lynx population is 350indivs,divided into 59 families. These Lynx is held responsible for the killing of 6125-10 093 sheep annually, giving an average of 22
kills/lynx. (John Odden, November 20, 2013) .

http://www.behav.org/student_essay/carnivores/lynx/Lund_2014_Why_does_Eurasian_Lynx_kill_sheep.pdf

Jonny
Yes I appreciate your point, but there is always the chance that a child could get into the position of being between the female and her cubs. An animal will always protect her young and Thetford Forest, Cumbria, Wales and Aberdeenshire are not the place now for large cats. My Highland cows are gentle animals, but when they have calves they are different and have to be treated with care and respect, The lynx numbers are expanding throughout Northern Europe and I would expect the same in Russia.
There are reports of increased attacks and kills on farm animals in Spain where a study had been taking place since the mid 1980s.

The population in Finland has increased maybe Finman could contribute on the position of the Lynx in Finland and if any attacks have been reported there.

Last edited:
Lol i dont have to research or Google, it hasnt happened yet & they may never even get released, dont get on your high horses over nothing. I said i didnt actually agree with it did i not?

If you wish to wrap yourself up in cotton wool. Then maybe a lynx will see you as a tasty morsel.

Thanks Hivemaker

I will pass the link onto a friend who has more concerns with sheep losses as he is right in the area for the propose reintroduction.

Last edited:
Maybe the lynx would kill most of the badgers, less damage done by them then, and not as many of them would need to be culled by man.

"Lynx preys largely on small to fairly large sized mammals and birds. Among the recorded prey items for the species are hares, rabbits, marmots, squirrels, dormice, other rodents, mustelids (such as martens), grouse, red foxes, wild boar, chamois, young moose, roe deer, red deer, reindeer and other ungulates. Where common, roe deer appear to be the preferred prey species for the lynx. Even where roe deer are quite uncommon, the deer are still quantitatively the favored prey species, though in summer smaller prey and occasional domestic sheep are eaten" Wikipedia

That's quite a lot of species that could do with control to set off against the occasional sheep. They seem to exist across large swathes of Europe without anyone being very bothered. Anything that would cut down on the population of rabbits, deer and squirrels seems worth thinking about

Jonny
Yes I appreciate your point, but there is always the chance that a child could get into the position of being between the female and her cubs. An animal will always protect her young and Thetford Forest, Cumbria, Wales and Aberdeenshire are not the place now for large cats. My Highland cows are gentle animals, but when they have calves they are different and have to be treated with care and respect, The lynx numbers are expanding throughout Northern Europe and I would expect the same in Russia.
There are reports of increased attacks and kills on farm animals in Spain where a study had been taking place since the mid 1980s.

The population in Finland has increased maybe Finman could contribute on the position of the Lynx in Finland and if any attacks have been reported there.

Mike what about if a child got between your highland cow. & its calf? People are killed every year by cows & bulls, shall we get rid of those just in case?
How many children & adults are killed or attacked every year by dogs in this country because of irresponsible owners? All i am saying is think rather than go on the offensive against something different which might never affect you even if they were released & expanded. Youve got a ransom on their heads before theyve even committed a crime?

unlikely to be anymore of a problem than foxes.
And we need something to keep the deer numbers down that isnt lethal at 1000 yds when some one misses/

That's quite a lot of species that could do with control to set off against the occasional sheep.

Most of those listed are also wild animals, i expect domestic cats would also make a nice snack for a lynx, and there are plenty of them around to keep the lynx well fed.

That's quite a lot of species that could do with control to set off against the occasional sheep. They seem to exist across large swathes of Europe without anyone being very bothered. Anything that would cut down on the population of rabbits, deer and squirrels seems worth thinking about

The problem is that predators will go for the easier targets, and deer aren't the easiest for a lynx to kill. Sheep, on the other hand, will run in circles until they get tired, and they can't jump over fences.

In some parts of the country rabbit populations are plummeting, possibly due to the high numbers of buzzards.

The problem is that predators will go for the easier targets, and deer aren't the easiest for a lynx to kill. Sheep, on the other hand, will run in circles until they get tired, and they can't jump over fences.

In some parts of the country rabbit populations are plummeting, possibly due to the high numbers of buzzards.

yet Red Kite numbers are booming - possibly because of takeaway litter.

A species that everyone was saying was going to take sheep!

Last edited:

What rubbish, more likely the demand for wild game highlighted on virtually every cooking programme, or the usual myxi & vhd, to blame buzzards is laughable.

As for predators going for the easiest targets, i think its us running around on here & getting tired Lol

Next youll be saying the lynx will kill & eat all the saffron buns!:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

A lynx killed a dog and attacked other pets in Canada last year. Due to the animal lovers the lynx was killed. It had also tried to attack another dog and got into a fight with the owner and followed the owner for a while. Not so shy are they. If it had been a child walking the dog, just imagine the trauma it could have caused.

Just had an email from a friend in Vologda Russia where I worked for a time. He told me Lynx have been known to attack humans especially in winter when they come into villages and towns, for food when their prey is in short supply.

Where I come from in Germany/ Harz they have reintroduced lynx. But now they are ruining short of rabbits.

I have a solution: feed the lynx with:sunning: thieving MPs...

And in other areas rabbit populations have increased and overtaken pre-myxi numbers. In either case I'd doubt buzzards would have much impact on them.Around here it may be because the red kite population increase is moving them on!
Regardless of the wailing of the bunny huggers about the increase in demand for wild game for the table - Netting, shooting and snaring are having so little effect on populations that talk has started to using gassing and biological means for eradication (and look what happened last time!). Even though it is now illegal to wilfuly spread myxi there's no doubt that the disease is still being spread by man.

yet Red Kite numbers are booming - possibly because of takeaway litter.
Could be - always did prefer scavenging, that's why a few centuries ago travelers knew they were approaching London when they saw the clouds of kites in the skies above it hovering over the rubbish tips. I believe that they were also brought from here to India in the early days of British rule to help clean up the rubbish.
One of the big concerns around here in the early days of stringent livestock tagging and carcass disposal/banning of on farm burial was that the kite's food supply would be greatly reduced.luckily it never happened (possibly part due to feeding stations and the like - not that I necessarily agree with feeding stations) and around here kites are almost more common than buzzards

A species that everyone was saying was going to take sheep!
Everyone? what everyone? I live in traditional sheep/kite country the last stronghold of the red kite and there was never talk of anything else but joy when the kites recovered and were more commonly seen. The only sheep that kites are likely to feed on are dead ones. The biggest worry for many of us when the so called 'hunting act' was being herded through parliament was the fact I knew that so called 'pest control operatives' were stockpiling strychnine. The intention I am sure was to leave out poison laced carcasses for reynard. Luckily most of our traditional hunts (gun packs) are able to operate within the 'law' so it never happened.

I think you may be thinking of white tailed eagles in England?

Latest posts

Back