Lynx may be released in Thetford Forest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What a barmy idea, Lynx in a relatively small area of East Anglia will possible cause devastation to sheep and outdoor pig farming in the Breckland Area. I hope those idiots realise the likely effect on such actions. Lynx are better off in the landscape of Eastern Europe, Scandinavia and Russia where they have vast areas to roam.

We sheep keepers have enough problems with foxes, dogs and rustling to contend with, not with the added problems lynx will cause.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environ...ld_be_released_into_thetford_forest_1_3984321

I saw a similar plan for Wales today, too. Perhaps we should have bears and mammoth, too. I suppose we could also re-forest the country.

Maybe we should indroduce bears, wild boar and wolves as well. Should add an interesting aspect to country walks. If the plan goes wrong and a child is attacked, then there will be an uproar. When the lynx population gets out of hand what then. Allow the hunts to go after them?
jd101k2000 beat me to it

Last edited:
I saw a similar plan for Wales today, too. Perhaps we should have bears and mammoth, too. I suppose we could also re-forest the country.

Also Cumbria and Aberdeenshire.

Why instantly think they will kill livestock & children? Lynx are forrest dwellers & rarely leave the forest so arent likely to be parading around farmers fields killing sheep & cows.
Whilst i would have serious reservations about this happening you cant dismiss it after reading one article Lol

Sometimes you need to concede, our island just doesn't have enough remote area for creatures like this, or any other large predator, to coincide without the inevitable. Too many humans getting in the way.

It's not instantly thinking it will happen. It is a case of availability of food in the area. Injured lynxes what would they do? So it cannot be dismissed.

I actually agree, they would only end up trapped or shot by some trigger happy idiots, they wouldnt have much of a chance.

Why instantly think they will kill livestock & children? Lynx are forrest dwellers & rarely leave the forest so arent likely to be parading around farmers fields killing sheep & cows.
Whilst i would have serious reservations about this happening you cant dismiss it after reading one article Lol

Why should we risk it. Lynx will be at the top of the food chain and with no predation, they would increase rapidly. All hell will be let loose if a child is killed or injured in Centre Parks for example. Then we have cause to cull and again protests on culling would be started. Thetford Forest is not an area of total woodland it is a patchwork of woods, heathland, area of grass and large arable fields, so the lynx will have to pass through open fields to get to other wooded areas. This is different to the vast expanses of woodland in Eastern and Northern Europe where lynx are found in the wild.

Cumbria (your neck of the woods I believe) is also a planned introduction site, and I am sure there will be conflict with sheep farmers in your area.

If they are introduced it will help control Munjac deer - the only advantage I can think of!! Not LOL.

Last edited:
Only if some idiot releases them into the wild.
Have to remember to get Lynx added to my .243 and .308 tickets

British army will add them to their 155mm AS 90 Howitzer which they use on the Thetford Forest Battle area.

Why should we risk it. Lynx will be at the top of the food chain and with no predation, they would increase rapidly. All hell will be let loose if a child is killed or injured in Centre Parks for example. Then we have cause to cull and again protests on culling would be started. Thetford Forest is not an area of total woodland it is a patchwork of woods, heathland, area of grass and large arable fields, so the lynx will have to pass through open fields to get to other wooded areas. This is different to the vast expanses of woodland in Eastern and Northern Europe where lynx are found in the wild.

Cumbria (your neck of the woods I believe) is also a planned introduction site, and I am sure there will be conflict with sheep farmers in your area.

If they are introduced it will help control Munjac deer - the only advantage I can think of!! Not LOL.

They will also eat small rodents, rats, rabbits & foxes, never heard of small child on the menu, they tend to keep clear of human scent. I think youre all thinking of man eating lions here Lol

Looks as though I will have to upgrade my licence from a 0.22 to a .243, just in case to protect the sheep.

They will also eat small rodents, rats, rabbits & foxes, never heard of small child on the menu, they tend to keep clear of human scent. I think youre all thinking of man eating lions here Lol

Here's a couple of examples after a Google search for Lynx attacking children

[COLOR="Blue"]Boy not seriously injured in lynx attack at Norman zoo,

http://www.worldzootoday.com/2009/0...norman-zoo-cat-brought-inside-after-incident/

Lynx attacks 6 year old girl

http://bigcatescapesmaulings.--------.co.uk/2005/08/6-year-old-girl-mauled-by-escaped.html

So it can happen!!!

Here's a couple of examples after a Google search for Lynx attacking children

[COLOR="Blue"]Boy not seriously injured in lynx attack at Norman zoo,

http://www.worldzootoday.com/2009/0...norman-zoo-cat-brought-inside-after-incident/

Lynx attacks 6 year old girl

http://bigcatescapesmaulings.--------.co.uk/2005/08/6-year-old-girl-mauled-by-escaped.html

So it can happen!!!

Hardly the same when its in a zoo??? Come on, you must have a better argument than that, a zoo animal is usually stressed & acts nothing like its wild counterparts, see when someone rattles your cage you bite too Lol

That'll be something else to avoid running over on the forest road on the way to Swaffham from Thickford.
Cazza

Hardly the same when its in a zoo??? Come on, you must have a better argument than that, a zoo animal is usually stressed & acts nothing like its wild counterparts, see when someone rattles your cage you bite too Lol

More than just a zoo. Do your research! We have not had lynx in this country for 1,300 years.

I do like Anduril's idea of child hunts. I'm sure those haven't been banned (yet). On a more serious note, when we are getting in a stew over relatively small cats like lynx, I do sympathise with the people who live in the territory of tigers and yet are expected to 'live in harmony' with them.

Back