Lubrication

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howsoonisnow

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Vaseline is a well known lubricant for the frame runners.

I have some out-of-date E45 cream; has anyone used this in this way?

Does anyone use anything else to keep the frames running smoothly?

Thanks

Vaseline is a well known lubricant for the frame runners.

I have some out-of-date E45 cream; has anyone used this in this way?

Does anyone use anything else to keep the frames running smoothly?

Thanks
Pound shop petroleum jelly, no need to pay several times as much for the branded stuff. It's a lubricant but it's a mix of hydrocarbons that stay put. Most bees tend to leave it alone and don't propolise surfaces as much as they do without it. E45, as far as I can see from the ingredients is some hydrocarbons and other ingredients suspended in water. On a surface, the water evaporates and leaves mostly the hydrocarbons but why would you want the water or other ingredients? Personally, I wouldn't worry about out-of-date E45 cream, it's sealed and not going to deteriorate
"E45 is a white cream containing White Soft Paraffin 14.5% w/w, Light Liquid Paraffin 12.6% w/w and Anhydrous Lanolin (Medilan) 1% w/w as active ingredients and also Glyceryl Monostearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Sodium Cetostearyl Sulphate, Carbomer, Methyl Hydroxybenzoate, Propyl Hydroxybenzoate, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid Monohydrate, Purified Water."
from the Boots product description.

I guess I might just try it and see how it goes.

I don't have much need for the E45 and I thought I'd repurpose it.

Thanks Alanf

I was going to ask if professional beekeepers bother with it; I'll take that as my answer!

I used petroleum jelly a few times but tbh in the end you end up with it all over your gloves and I'd rather clean propolis off the rails once a year!

I bought a tub of vaseline many moons ago and never used it although I believe it's a must if you have a few chaps

I keep some in my beekeeping kit for if I find any gaps (for whatever reason) between boxes. It is a good temporary fix.

also, when running a 14x12 PolyNUC, it stops the girls gluing the layers together.

lastly, I smear a bit on frame runners when using sulphur in autumn. It stops them rusting.

The beek I got my bees from last year recommended mixing white paraffin (vaseline) with liquid paraffin until it is a thick liquid, then putting it into a squeezey bottle. He used it to quickly draw a line across the runners and around the edges of boxes to make them easier to open next time.

Started using vaseline between boxes since first inspection and found the bees a lot happier when opened up. Vaseline recommended.

Also, :ot:...have used a misting spray of "CompleteBee" instead of smoke.... The start to the season has been a completely different experience to last year! Very enjoyable & more relaxed. Will revert to smoke when Wasps arrive....

Latest posts

Back