Low Cost Microscope

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
For those of you who might be interested Lidl will be doing a microscope for £39.99 from 6th Sept. We got one of these for our son a couple of Christmas's ago and thought it was really good value and solidly made. It came with a USB camera which allows you to hook it up to a PC. He has had lots of fun with it looking at all sorts of nasties. While it might not be of scientific quality for serious use it is a low cost introduction and could open up a new dimension to our hobby.

PS If you really want grossing out have a look at some head lice, donated by someone elses kid of course!!!!!!:ack2:
Must try putting a tin of Apiguard under son's baseball cap at next outbreak.

I've got one. IT IS BRILLIANT.
I use it primarily to look for nosema. Churn up the abdomens of 30 bees, mix with a little water and put onto a slide.
I have looked at all sorts of bits of bees and other things as well.

Mine attaches to the computer so i can save the images for future ref. I think it cost nearer £50 a few years back.

Hurry up before they sell out to get yours

Not sure that you need an umbrella.

The locals that frequent my local lidl probably won't be fighting you for a microscope.

To say they are brilliant is a fair comment for those that are not used to solid precision engineering. I have used more than 'just a few' microscopes in my time and my old one, in it's crammed wooden box, is certainly a far better instrument than the Lidl version for 50 quid or less.

That said they (the Bresser from Lidl) are superb value for money - I have one - and the computer connection is a far cry from fixing and storing slides, or taking photos, as in ye olde days!

My 'old' microscope is far smoother, sturdier and with a whole array of objectives, eyepieces and other sundries (slides, cover glasses, etc), cost a good deal less the lidl 40 quid price tag. They are out there but are getting fewer, and further between the bargains. The Bresser simply 'does the job'.

Regards, RAB

Thanks RAB.

I was wondering how long it would take to get a " not as good as my Swiss Schneurlberger Super Optic 72 " post.

Just teasing.:smilielol5:

Thanks RAB.

I was wondering how long it would take to get a " not as good as my Swiss Schneurlberger Super Optic 72 " post.

Just teasing.:smilielol5:

actually the Scneurlberger Super Optic 72 is not very good. The 74A is a far better instrument I think you'll find.:smilielol5:

Repwoc,

Actually got it out of the box today (the key has gone awol).

It is a Cooke Troughton and Parker (CTS) Serial number starts M1 so is preumably the M1000 base. This one has a 360 degree rotating table (with vernier) so was likely a special for optical rotation (polarimetry) or crystal angle checking (geological)? I've not really got a clue. It does the job.

It weighs in at over 4kg whereas the Bresser is just over 1kg (the whole Lidl outfit including case is less than 3kg), so is an example of 'built like the proverbial brick bog'!

If anyone has any info on what I actually have, I would be appreciative.

Regards, RAB

I have a collection of scopes, the last one liberated from my surgery when I retired.
Post a picture and I might be able to help.
Cooke Traughton are now married to Simms.

I have looked at camera/usb eye pieces for my Brunnel. Expensive! Anyone know if you can use the Lidl as a donar for the camera eyepiece and simply swap to another? granted there may be some magnification issues, not sure how it attaches / connects?

Rosti,

Tubular slide fit, not sure of diameter but smallish compared to the CTS, so presumably would need a machined sleeve, then sort out the focal points afterwards. Provided all is within the reach, so as to speak, it should work of sorts.

I thought of that as that as an option for mine but have not looked closely.

Maybe a winter project......

Regards, RAB

Repwoc,

Actually got it out of the box today (the key has gone awol).

It is a Cooke Troughton and Parker (CTS) Serial number starts M1 so is preumably the M1000 base. This one has a 360 degree rotating table (with vernier) so was likely a special for optical rotation (polarimetry) or crystal angle checking (geological)? I've not really got a clue. It does the job.

It weighs in at over 4kg whereas the Bresser is just over 1kg (the whole Lidl outfit including case is less than 3kg), so is an example of 'built like the proverbial brick bog'!

If anyone has any info on what I actually have, I would be appreciative.

Regards, RAB

i had one of these ex army medical corp surplus ones, is it the same as yours, did you buy your in a car boot sale :sifone: as mine was stolen

http://www.bmius.com/servlet/-strse-7223/cooke-troughton-simms-panopaque/Detail

Latest posts

Back